1997 Toyota 4Runner 4runner 3.4L from North America

Summary:

Buying another one for my wife but a 5spd!

Nothing in 2 yrs except the regular synthetic oil change, cleaning of my K&N filter every 4 months, and installing new spark plugs.

General Comments:

This is my first Toyota 4x4 and I had previously owned Nissan Pathfinder. Being a true fan of manual transmissions, I came across a very rare SR5 3.4L 5speed transmission locally with only 85,000 miles. I was never skeptical of the condition after test driving the truck and reviewing the owner's repair log. So I bought it!

After 2 yrs and a half, I drove it on multiple ski trips (without snow chains), to the mountains (mild off-road), and sandy banks at local So Cal beaches and must say that these trucks are solid! I only had to change the oil with synthetic Mobil 1 every 4 months, clean the K&N filter, and change spark plugs when I just purchased it. I didn't even have to replace bulbs, fuses, or even the battery!

Review Date: 18th May, 2008

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 3.4 V6 from North America

Summary:

Bullitproof when cared for and maintained properly

Nothing.

Shocks are in need of replacement, ordered Tokicos.

General Comments:

Did a baseline flush and fill of all fluids, filters, plugs etc.

Dunlop tires are awful, will change to Michelins.

2WD, with mileage consistently in the 17's with 90% city driving. Only improves to 20mpg on the hiway.

Review Date: 17th April, 2008

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Mostly loved it until today

My head gasket just blew on my 1997 4Runner Limited 6 cylinder, for no apparent reason. The car has 137,000 miles on it and I bought it back in 2000 as a pre-owned certified vehicle from Toyota. I have had regular maintenance, sane driving, I am so confused and disappointed. I called Toyota and my VIN number is not part of any recall. I thought I would be driving my car for at least another 100,000 miles according to their commercials!!

I was quoted 3,600.00 to put in a new rebuilt engine, as my mechanic (not at Toyota) does not recommend doing the head gasket rebuild. He said to drive it until it dies and then put in the new engine. Great, like driving a time-bomb. Also now tons of stinky white smoke comes out the tail pipe now, really makes me feel even more eco-friendly than just merely driving a big gas guzzling SUV.

I feel like my car is a bit old to start putting 4 grand into it. I really feel cheated and between a rock and a hard place. My family and I have sworn by Toyota for years, I'm not so sure anymore. This is very upsetting!!

General Comments:

I have always been very happy with my 4 Runner until today. I was so happy to have finally paid it off, no car payments and I thought several years of life left in it. I guess I was wrong.

I have noticed that it isn't the most comfortable car to drive over long distances, a bit of a bumpy ride, but I love that the rear power window, (which has also had mechanical problems recently), allows me to safely leave my dogs in the back when it's not too warm out.

Review Date: 24th November, 2007

10th Jun 2008, 06:11

I don't understand why the head gasket can't be replaced. Do you have the V6? Do you know which bank the gasket has gone on? To me it sounds as if the dealer could be trying to squeeze a fair bit of dough out of you unnecessarily. It is quite possible there is nothing wrong with your engine and you were just unlucky and got a dud head gasket! Also a previous owner may have overheated the vehicle causing weakness to the gasket.

1997 Toyota 4Runner from North America

Summary:

Great Yoda

Power Antenna and water pump (covered by ext warranty). I let the power antenna broken, but still receiving perfectly fine. Dealer wants to charge too much for it.. 60 just to remove the part.. : (

I have a SR5 auto. I am able to get roughly 26.5 on highway by driving solo (average 55 mpg). I have 95000 miles on it and running very strong.

General Comments:

Newer Toyota made from the US kinda sucks. I owned a newer Sienna and not quite happy with it. I would buy a Toyota, but imported model.

Review Date: 30th December, 2006

1st Jan 2007, 19:05

Are you sure that you have more than 50 mpg?

Is your engine hybrid?

2nd Sep 2007, 13:22

I think he means 26.5 MPG @ 55MPH.