1993 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 from North America

Piece of crap car

I have owned this car since new.

I have taken very good care of it; oil changes every 2,500 miles.

It has been a troublesome car; lots of things have gone wrong with it.

At 38,000, both CV axles needed to be replaced.

At 40,000 miles, the battery went out.

40,456 miles, the stater went bad.

42,134, radiator was leaking antifreeze and had to be replaced.

44,786, the transmission stopped working; rebuilt at a cost of over $1,800.

47,094, front rotors needed replacing.

At 50,665m, the car died on the L.I.E. Timing belt broke, the car had to be towed, replaced timing belt, water pump, and tensioner, $735.00.

Now when it's cold, there are noises coming from the back of the car. Also there is a major oil leak, which I was told is a head gasket.

This car now has only 57,000 miles, and I have decided that it's time to get a new car. I think I will buy a Nissan Altima 2-door and hope that this car will be more reliable than the Toyota,

General Comments:

Not oh, what a feeling with this car. My Toyota was built in the USA; maybe that's why it's falling apart. My next car will be built in Japan.

Review Date: 9th June, 2010

28th Nov 2014, 19:39

I agree with you on Toyota Camrys that are built in Japan versus the USA! My 1993 Toyota Camry was built in Japan, and she has 234,324 miles, and is still running strong! Great car!

1993 Toyota Camry 2.2 4 cylinder from North America

Very reliable, yet comfortable car!

Struts, both front and rear, 2 sets each at 170k and 220k.

Front pulley on engine, made a strange noise 200k.

Oil leak in engine, timing belt replaced at same time 170k.

Door handle broke at 220k.

CV joints have been bad since 170k. I refuse to change them. At 225k they are clicking more noticeably.

Radiator has been slowly leaking since 165,000 miles. Have not fixed it.

All brakes are in need of attention.

General Comments:

I commute 100 miles round trip each day to work. Cost per mile has been my first priority. I bought the car from a coworker, and while I have put more money in this car than any other, it has been quite inexpensive to drive.

I put 25000 miles per year on it, and completely neglected this car. I change oil between 10,000-13,000 miles and the engine just keeps running. It always starts, even in 25 below zero temps (F) and with no warm up always gets me to work. In the summer it gets 31-32 MPG at 70 MPH and in the winter 28.5 MPG.

The shops have been telling my the front drive shafts (CV joints) need replacing for the last 2+ years and the rubber boots have been gone. I just kept driving and now they are just starting to click.

The only real weakness of this car has been the struts. The last set I put in are suppose to last longer than 25,000-35,000 miles. I probably won't find out as the car needs around 900 dollars in maintenance and is only worth around 500 dollars. (I don't call CV joints, radiator, and brakes "repairs" after 225k) So, in hindsight I should have paid for better struts. Other than that, this car has pretty much been bullet proof.

The MPG versus ride is tough to beat. The car rides nice and feels bigger than it is. My old 84 Accord rivaled it in MPG, but the ride did not compare. A 3800 GM car I owned did not get the gas mileage as advertised.

Now I need to figure out what is next for me. A 96 Camry might be in order, but after 4+ years in mine, I am looking for something different, and possibly a little more comfort, sacrificing MPG. I would have NO PROBLEM buying another one of these cars if VERY reliable transportation with good mileage was my objective. -- Hope this helps.

Review Date: 19th April, 2009