2000 Toyota Camry Reviews - Page 3 of 8

2000 Toyota Camry CE 2.2L from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 2.2L Manual

Summary:

Great, reliable car for everyday use and vacations

Changed timing belt and water pump as part of preventive maintenance at 165,000. The water pump was a rebuilt from a 3rd party mechanic and it gave out at 220,000 - so changed both again. Starting to burn a little oil now.

Replaced the driver's outside door handle. The plastic handle broke off after 175,000 miles on the car.

General Comments:

Great reliable car - has always started even on the cold bitter days. Get 31 mpg overall - even though EPA rating is 29 mpg on the highway.

Acceleration is good - not going to be a 6 cylinder, but definitely has get-up and go. Doesn't mind cruising at high speeds either ;-)

The rear cup holders broke after normal use.

Review Date: 29th August, 2008

2000 Toyota Camry XLE 3.0L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

The best of the best--wish I had a whole fleet of them!

Replaced the serpentine belt.

Replaced a strut stabilizer bar.

Total repairs in one year and 41,000 km of driving is 175.00, plus oil changes. This has included a lot of hard highway miles in extreme weather.

General Comments:

This car is incredibly well built. When you close the door it feels like you're in a vault it is a very solid car.

With the V6 I get about 20 mpg in the city and 25-36 on the highway depending on conditions and speed. There is no shortage of power for passing. The ride and handling are a nice balance of smoothness with good cornering.

The rear spoiler is flimsy, I broke mine by accident when slamming the trunk down.

Paint is holding up very well.

I cannot think of one thing I would improve on with this car. I plan on putting on another 200,000 km before getting rid of it and at that I will likely give it to my son.

Review Date: 24th March, 2008

21st May 2008, 18:53

Agreed... My 2000 Camry XLE V6 3.0 has been stellar.

I did need to get the VSV replaced. For those who have weird loss of power symptoms, do check VSV. It was a nightmare to find the source of the problem, and very costly from the dealer after replacing many sensors, they finally found it.

This aside, it is the BEST car I have ever owned..

It requires nothing but fuel.

OK, and regular oil changes... but that's it..

I will buy another!!

22nd May 2008, 12:54

See the overall Camry reviews. They are anything BUT "stellar", more like "cellar".

13th Nov 2009, 23:46

Original poster. Car now has 316,000 on it and continues to give trouble free service. Best car I have owned.

20th Sep 2010, 06:49

I have 2000 Camry XLE.

I had 220,000 km, so I did not want to take a chance with timing belt. When I removed the old one it seemed that that one would have been good for another 100000 km. It was not hard, it was soft and flexible and not stretched and not worn. I am saying this just so that you know how well this car was made. My car was made in Japan.

Harry.

2000 Toyota Camry LE V6 from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Most recent distance62000 miles
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

I will not buy another Toyota. 2 of 2 is just too much

The transmission went bad after less than 62,000 miles. This costs me over $3,700.

I bought a Corolla 15 years ago and had same problem.

I will NEVER buy another Toyota.

General Comments:

A friend told me Toyota knows they have problem with Camry transmission. But the cost is too high to recall.

So they act like they do not know. It is a design problem, from 1999 model up to at least 2007.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2008

8th Mar 2008, 18:56

Our friend, who was in need of a car, bought a nice looking, low mileage Camry and within two months the transmission went out and he was told the repair cost would be close to $4000. As his wife was very ill and he was very short on money, he purchased a 14-year-old Chevrolet for $500. It proved to be a much more reliable car, even with over 200,000 miles on it. The Camry (and Tundra and Highlander) will spell the end of Toyota's "quality" myth.