2001 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Top Quality Product

MAF Sensor Failure at 108,000KM.

Vacuum Switching Valve Failure at 112,000KM.

New Tires at 115,000KM.

General Comments:

Great Car with great looks and very well built.

This one was made in Japan.

A few things I would have liked to see.

- Breakaway mirrors

- Retractable rear sunshade

- Properly lit interior i.e. no lighting for the floor shifter, no lighting for the mirror adjustments or traction control master switch, window and power lock switches.

- Higher performance overall.

Otherwise I have been approached twice by people on the street asking how much I would sell it for, so Toyota did good work with the XLE V6 Camry.

Review Date: 21st May, 2007

2001 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 from North America

Summary:

1st Class Reliability

No Mechanical problems. Still has original engine/Trans.

General Comments:

So far, the car has been great. This is now the 2nd Camry I bought, as a company car, that has multiple drivers every week. My employees run both Camry's pretty hard, and they are holding up excellent. It's was due for a timing belt service @ 90,000 miles, and the cost was just over $200, which is relatively cheap, when compared to other vehicles. (I once had an Eagle Talon, that cost me $679 for a timing belt change). For the Camry only having a 2.2L 4 cylinder, the car has impressive passing speed, and of course, excellent fuel economy. The interior seems to be built more solid than many domestic models. Like I said, my 2 Camry's are ran pretty hard, and there aren't any rattles in the interiors of the 2 cars. This day & age, many cars loosen up & fall apart around 90,000 miles. But, as a few others have said in their reviews, everything is still tight.

Review Date: 1st September, 2006

9th Aug 2007, 17:48

What exactly is first-class about a Camry? That is like saying your toaster is elegant. Come on.

10th Dec 2007, 14:38

Pretty simple. Read it again. "First Class Reliability", meaning that the reliability is first-class. It doesn't say that the car is first class. Take a lesson in English.

27th Jan 2008, 20:53

I own a KitchenAid Toaster, and it's quite elegant. I'll soon have Kohler plumbing products as well. Oh yeah, and I feed my cat Fancy Feast.

2001 Toyota Camry CSi V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Reliable and more than adequate performance

Nothing wrong with the car that wasn't caused by driver error or excessive/strenuous use.

Apparently I screwed the brakes cause I broke at high speeds. Wheel alignment once or twice. Car developing a certain roughness, minor jarring noise when driven in a certain way at a certain rev.

General Comments:

Our Cressida was getting old, dad made a decision between the Camry or the Avalon and chose the CSi V6 which was the cheapest one. He probably asked for some options, but I dunno what they are. There's no ABS and I don't think there are air bags either unless there are driver ones as standard.

I've learnt to drive with this car. It's shared in the family, but after my dad I'm the one who drives it the most often. I've abused it occasionally, dragging Commodores at the lights, and won, as well as other cars. Racing at up to 167 km/h trailing, but not falling behind a GTR R33. I've jolt braked speed humps to clear them quicker, I've turned in at high speeds, I've floored the accelerator and had the car jump with sudden and gorgeous performance. If it wasn't for other cars I'd thought I was driving a sports car. It's silky smooth when tame and fast when you want it to be and need it to be. It's perfect for those who don't worry too much about the car, taking it to service and not caring about it later because you trust it and feel as it it'll never fail you. I've grown up with this car and it's like a friend that I rely on. If driven frequently and enthusiastically unleaded can reach up to $50 a week. It drives better with premium unleaded and make sure you get good tires for the front. I've never complained about the car, but I do complain when it gets bad tires, the 'new' Dunlops were craptastic and wouldn't grip on the wet so I got my dad to get Pirellis like the ones before. Braking is excellent. If used properly you won't need ABS, I've only had it skid twice, but that was because I wasn't braking properly.

In conclusion, if you want a great all round car with decent performance, a car you with stick with until it gets either written off or you sell it, this is the car for you because you can trust it.

Review Date: 29th May, 2006

14th Jun 2007, 12:25

ROFL guys and their fast cars.. talk about small body parts...