1993 Toyota Corolla LX from North America

Frozen left front brake caliper.

Clutch wore out.

Dash lights burned out.

General Comments:

For years I fought myself over buying Japanese cars. I owned Volvos and Mercedes, and loved to hate them. They broke the bank far too often.

As for my well used 93 Corolla wagon; I bought it at a car auction for $850.00.

Well I am a Corolla believer. Not all Toyotas are faultless. Certain years have bad aluminum heads/blocks and faulty transmissions. But comparing them to cars offered by other automakers, they have a really admirable track record.

My Corolla wagon is as boring as an English butler, but that's where it ends.

Its headroom is made for tall people. I'm 6'4" and there still is 4 or 5 inches to spare. The seats are supportive and more comfortable than they should be.

The drive-ability is really good and the brakes are too.

35.4 MPG. I love it. It's a trusted friend, my Corolla.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2018

23rd Feb 2018, 23:45

If you got 4-5 inches above your 6'4" head, you must have the seat reclined at 45 degrees or greater/gangster.

24th Feb 2018, 18:33

Sunroof?

26th Feb 2018, 03:36

Flattened out seat cushions?

1993 Toyota Corolla SE Limited 1.5 Fuel Injected from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Extremely reliable and well built

Nothing.

General Comments:

It's not the quickest car on the road, but the fuel efficiency and reliability is phenomenal. It still has get up and go when you need it, and is certainly not sluggish.

It rides very smoothly, and parts are extremely easy to find (should you ever need them).

This model has full electrics (electric windows and mirrors), and features a tachometer that some models do not have.

Review Date: 28th March, 2010

1993 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

It's the best car I ever owned.

The exhaust manifold was replaced at about 200k.

Wheel bearings were replaced at 225k.

The A/C stopped working at about 210k.

Distributor shaft was replaced at about 200k.

General Comments:

The car is now being driven by my 17 year old. She has been in 2 accidents. The car just won't quit. It still gets about 25mpg.

Review Date: 14th March, 2009

1993 Toyota Corolla 2.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Em, let me think, now, what has gone wrong, wait now, em, aha, the tyres needed replacing!

And, I think some bulbs blew, and bushings were replaced at 120,000.

The ashtray needed to be emptied...

General Comments:

I had one 13 years ago, and I was a chap and drove like a loon, full speed from cold, day after day after day. Slamming on the brakes, handbrake turns, burn outs, J turns, you name it, it tried it. It was a company car.

The car was quite simply built like a tank.

All those years on and I'm looking for a cheap runaround as a second car. Guess what I'm gonna buy... I'll probably hold off on the old J turns with junior strapped in until he's old enough to request them or do them himself!!!

Review Date: 28th August, 2008

1993 Toyota Corolla GLI 1.6 from Portugal

Summary:

Perfect

Nothing as gone wrong with the car...

General Comments:

It´s a Toyota :), very power full engine (it´s the same as the Carina e) 116cv, and the fuel is the BP V-Power. The performance difference is HUGE, I can put this machine a 230km/h with no problem!! The model is the lift back, not very beautiful, it as air con.. Not very roomy : (... But I love it.

Review Date: 13th November, 2007

1993 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8L from North America

Summary:

Reliable

Starter replaced at ~115K.

General Comments:

Bulletproof. This car was beaten the hell out of (but was maintained) and its still running strong. My fuel economy is OK (prolly b/c of my mis-aligned front end due to aftermarket springs)... get about 24mpg hardcore city miles (sitting in traffic for long times).

Not bad for $1500! (lasted me 5 years!)

Review Date: 16th June, 2007

1993 Toyota Corolla from North America

Summary:

Best car ever!

Had to replace oil sensor at 215k.

Hit a rock in the road, and had to replace the struts and strut mounts.

General Comments:

Excellent commuter car, I always feel safe while driving it.

Could use a little more power, especially going uphill.

Review Date: 13th November, 2006

14th Nov 2006, 22:17

If you go for a Corolla as your next car, try to find either the 1.8 liter engine with the 4 speed auto or go for a manual shift transmission.