1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Reliable, great handling car for a great price!

So far, the only problem that I've had was the seat belt light started flashing constantly at about 60,000 miles. Also, the seats tend to stain even just from sweating on them (they are light gray).

General Comments:

This car is amazing, it turns on a dime and can blow just about anything off the line. I love the way it handles around town, but it isn't particularly comfortable for long trips. I haven't done service very religiously on this car, but still absolutely no problems. The car seat for my three year old fits great and is easy to get in and out.

Review Date: 20th August, 2003

1999 Toyota Corolla SR 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The 1.6SR is a trusty reliable car, which looks faster than it is due to its unreliable performance

Nothing has actually gone wrong with it mechanically or electrically, but I suspect its not working to the best of its ability. Its never the same car from one day to the next in terms of performance. Sometimes its responsive and agile, sometimes it just won't get going or "pick up". The Toyota dealer have had it back 3 times, but claim that there's nothing wrong with it.

This leaves me not knowing whether I actually like the car or not.

General Comments:

I endorse the general consensus of opinion that UK Toyotas nowadays are not quite as good as the Japanese built ones. They just don't "feel" as good.

On one of its good days, I would say that it's a reasonably-powered car which has the necessary road holding and handling to deal with it.But a lot of the time it wouldn't be able to keep up with many smaller-engined vehicles in its class.

All in all, quite a good car to own. Just wish the performance was consistent.

Review Date: 14th May, 2003

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

The Corolla is a excellent all-around car that deserves a chance

My handbrake came really loose (maybe from the dealer pulling up on the handbrake too hard?...). I haven't really touched it, but I have been using the automatic catch to tighten it. I guess I could open it up and tighten it manually, but it hasn't been horrible.

Dash rattled after about 1,000 miles. I took it to the dealership, but they weren't very helpful. I ended up taking the dash apart myself. The noise came from some tape wrapped around some wires sticking and unsticking to the inside of the dash. As the car is getting older, there are little rattles here and there on the side and in the dash. I haven't bothered trying to fix them.

The radio light went out around 30,000 miles, and after a couple months came back on and I haven't had any problems with it since.

At around 45,000 miles the brakes began to shudder under really hard braking. I really think this was my fault since there was a time when I used to push the brakes really hard down mountain passes. I think I may have slightly warped my brake rotors from the heat.

At around 50,000 miles I thought my gas mileage was dropping dramatically. I used to average 39-40 mpg (miles per gallon) give or take a couple miles, and then it went to 30 mpg. Anyway, make sure your tires are properly inflated... I got lazy and neglected to check them for a while.

General Comments:

The car isn't the greatest handling car, but when pushed, it sticks enough. It's an economy car, not a sports car. There is body roll, but the car is very predictable as it slides.

The car is geared very appropriately for everyday driving and can be pushed. The shifter/clutch is very smooth and shifts very cleanly in between gears. It has one of the best shifters I have ever driven (compares to a lot of the luxury manuals I have driven). A lot of cars, Civics in particular, are geared inefficiently in my opinion, and have a "chunky" feel when shifting (might have something to do with the longer throw (distance) in between the different gears).

The car isn't the roomiest in the rear. The folks up front will be happy, but I can't say that for everyone in the back on a long roadtrip.

Random points: Car gets good gas mileage, has a decent ride, and is quiet.

Review Date: 15th January, 2003