1999 Toyota Corolla GS 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A quality family car - but not the same quality as previous Corollas

Wipers stopped working during heavy rain on the motorway!

General Comments:

I bought this car as a replacement for my Almera which had a small boot. The Corolla boot is massive for the size of the car.

I've had several Corollas before and they are good cars. However, this is the first high-miler which might have something to do with the following :

Ride/handling quality poor at low speeds and don't inspire confidence at high speeds.

Seats uncomfortable - no support for thighs or back.

Build quality not as good as 'Jap' corollas. The AA guy who came to fix my wipers said that these cars use a lot of British parts, and are nowhere as reliable as the earlier ones.

Spec was fantastic - esr, air con, ABS, cd player etc etc faultless.

Engine and Gearbox unbelievably smooth and quiet. Performance and economy also very impressive.

However, boring to drive compared to the Almera - cannot drive it in a spirited manner at all.

Anyway, I do miss this car - gone back to an Almera now. But I'm on the lookout for a facelift (plus new suspension, seats etc) model which came out from a W reg - this should be the best of all worlds.

Corollas are expensive to buy used. My advice is to go for the best you can afford - and don't buy one which more than 25,000 per annum on the clock.

It's an A-B transport car, and a damn good one at that. But not one that you'll jump into to go for a quick spin for the hell of it.

Review Date: 30th December, 2002

1999 Toyota Corolla Hatchback 1.6 from Hungary

Summary:

A pleasure to drive it

Nothing. After 6 months I've had it, in winter, a little noise came from the brakes at the first 2-3 times I stepped on the brakes (only in the morning), but the brakes were effective. I asked the dealer about it, they checked it (for free), found nothing. The noise was gone in a few weeks, and never came back.

General Comments:

It's a great pleasure to have this car. Extremely reliable, starts immediately even if the temperature is very much below zero. I feel safe even at higher speeds, no vibrations or anything uncomfortable even at 200km/h.

Very good dealer service, quick and polite.

Only drawback is the seat-size (though I'm normal, 1.80m), you cannot push the seat back enough, so I need a small pillow to support my thighs on longer journeys.

I'd definitely go for a Toyota again.

Review Date: 11th February, 2001

24th Jul 2001, 05:50

I've noticed (although it came by no surprise to me) that all these Toyota maniacs are happy about one thing only: reliability. Despite this being a really considerable advantage, Toyota fellows seem to ignore that there are so many other characteristics cars should have to be considered "good": handling, comfort, interior space, design and so on, characteristics that unfortunately few Toyota models have in an above average degree.

So, my friends, get in your beloved and "reliable" Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki etc, try to face sharp curves of 70-80 kph or wider ones of 100-120-150 kph - as a Renault or an Alfa does - and if you manage to stay on the road safe and sound, inform me to award you a medal for bravery! As a friend once said, "Japanese make good cars for people who don't love good cars!"

Sincerely yours,

A lover of true driving.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE/TRD Stage 3 1.8L N/A from North America

Summary:

A very reliable and good performance!

Nothing!

General Comments:

This car was bought and has performed flawlessly ever since. I thought this car was very worthy of adding parts from Toyota Racing Development, and with the kit I now have increased performance, handling and above all, looks.

Review Date: 17th September, 2000