1999 Toyota Corolla VE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

A poorly made unreliable car

At 70K miles the automatic transmission broke down on the freeway as my family and I were on vacation 100 miles from home. Excluding a large tow and car rental bill the transmission cost over 2300 dollars to fix.

The "check engine" light lit shortly after the transmission repair was done. The computer code refers to an emissions problem. The warranty mentioned that the emissions system is covered for the first 100K miles, but the Toyota Dealer Service Department said that only the catalytic converter is covered. And the converter checked out to be working properly.

At 45K miles the brake pedal went to the floor as I was braking down a steep hill. I had the brakes checked out and no problem was found. I had the brake pads replaced at 50K miles and started noticing a pulsing pedal shortly after words. I learned to live with it.

The interior light for the shifter console is intermittent. I have to wiggle the shifter handle to get the light to turn on.

The car sometimes does not start when the shifter is in "Park". I have to put the selector into "neutral" to start the car.

General Comments:

The car is not the greatest handling. Any slight breeze and car will sway.

The road noise has increased greatly after I reached 45K on the odometer. I assumed new tires would quiet things down, but it has not.

At around 45 mph the transmission shifts gears. Trying to maintain this speed has the car shifting up and down continuously.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2004

26th Aug 2005, 12:46

That is unbelievable that you are unhappy with your Corolla. I have had one for 7 years, 112,000+ miles and have never had any major problems. Actually, have never had any problems except the starter started to drag. Had that replaced and now am ready for the next 7 years. This car is excellent on gas and is very comfortable and extremely reliable. I drive mine everywhere and know it will always get me back home.

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable, but SO boring to drive and look at

Nothing major simple things like brakes wipers stuff that needs to be replaced on every car.

General Comments:

The cassette player / stereo sucks and the a/c is poor, must be a toyota thing because the freon is fine, I test drove another Corolla of the same year and it had lousy a/c too. You know this the most boring generic car I have ever had in my life its so plain, even the upgraded models are boring looking. The newer ones look much better and up to date. Even though this car has not given me a minutes trouble Its getting traded for something a little more exciting.

Review Date: 28th January, 2004

27th Jun 2004, 17:44

I find your review somewhat misguided. A car is not a status symbol. It is a machine designed to get you from point A to point B. The Toyota does that very well. Wouldn't you rather save money on a Toyota and then use the saved funds on some worthy cause, like a holiday or giving to charity or sending your kids to university? Isn't that a more sensible approach than buying a BMW or a Audi?

1st Apr 2005, 12:02

That's strange. You said the a/c isn't so great. For me, mines is works really well.. even better than some new cars out there that my friends own. You just have to change the air filter on time basically. If it's not that, I think you will figure it out sooner or later. But I feel the a/c is awesome.. gets cool quickly and it's only on the first bar..

25th Jul 2005, 21:20

My A/C seems to be working fine too. I've got atleast 80,000 miles on the car and so far so good. One thing is true, this is a point A to B transportation vehicle. Good thing this car is my wife's.

14th Mar 2006, 18:46

Your right it is boring.. nothing stands out.