2006 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Crapolla

Ask me what things have not gone wrong with the car?

General Comments:

You are a poor student, and everybody advises you to buy a reliable car that is low cost. You will have enough time for more fancy ones.

You borrow money, and work hard to be able to pay for the Corolla you bought.

Everything starts from the 2nd week, and after 2 years you have paid $2200 on repair/parts.

Your stupid friends have bought crappy (!) GM, Ford and VW old cars from junk yards. The difference is that you ask them all the time to drop you at the shop to see what's happening with your car or pick you on their way to the party, as your well build Toyota does not run.

I still should feel smart that I picked a Japanese 3 y.o. car over those crappy ones my friend drive. No?!

Review Date: 21st April, 2011

21st Apr 2011, 20:23

I drive old $500 Chevys and Fords, and they work great for me.

The old cars are more reliable, solid, and easier to fix.

I have had many of my friends buy newer, more expensive cars, and then ask to borrow my beat up old Chevy van to get to work while their car was in the shop.

This happens to me all the time, but I have never had to borrow a friend's Honda or Toyota because my Chevy didn't work. Even with 350k, it starts every time!

Not to say Toyota and Honda didn't used to make good cars, they made great ones in the 80's and 90's, but the newer ones are just junk! Toyota engine blocks crack all the time and they burn oil, while Honda has awful transmission problems time after time.

My advice is sell it and pick up a budget beater just like your friends. Unless you care about status or impressing others with a newer car, the Corolla is useless.

Even if your $500 car has a few problems, the Corolla repairs will be more expensive to offset the difference in gas mileage savings.

It's more economical to pay cash upfront than make monthly payments on a car.

Every student should avoid having to make monthly car payments! I was a student once, and used to ride a bicycle back then! Good luck with your car.

2006 Toyota Corolla S 1.8L from North America

Summary:

Great car, its sportier than people give it credit for

Nothing has gone wrong yet.

Paint is cheap (easy to chip and hard to buff without pilling off).

Windows are sometimes slow, but always roll up and down.

General Comments:

I have owned my Corolla S for almost a year now, and haven't had ANY engine problems.

Great gas mileage. Getting 25+.

My Corolla S isn't a drag car, but still will get up and go. I have no problem weaving in and out of traffic on highways. It handles amazingly on curvy back roads. I have pushed my Corolla S to its limits plenty of times, and it's handled well.

I have recently added 17in DRIFTS rims with low profile tires, and had it lowered about 2in. This gives it a really sporty look.

The interior is more comfortable and better looking than most of my friend's cars (Civic EX, Probe, Mazda 3). I am over six foot and still find plenty of room for my legs. Everything is within easy reach, and is well proportioned.

It's a good thing I'm not a smoker, because there are no ash trays LOL.

I can't find anything that I dislike about this car.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2010

24th Jul 2010, 11:01

Your gas mileage seems awfully low. I'd say this is caused by aggressive driving. It'll hold up to the abuse your putting it through (Toyota's are extremely tough to kill, believe me, I've tried) but driven lightly, that Corolla should be capable of MPG's in the high 30's.

24th Jul 2010, 16:15

Three Corollas I've known in my circle of friends held up pretty well. The engine seized on one at 34,000 miles, one blew up at 63,000 miles and one made it all the way to 90,000 before massive engine repairs. As far mileage, a Corolla should get almost as good mileage as a 4-cylinder Fusion, which gets 34 on the highway. Our big SUV gets 24 on the highway.

25th Jul 2010, 10:07

Changing the oil along with other basic maintenance items helps. And I'm sure if you put a domestic through as much abuse as those Corolla's took, it'd be dead before you got it off the dealer lot.

As for real mileage, my '96 Corolla with over 180,000 miles on it gets 40 MPG on the highway and 35 in town, and that's with an automatic transmission. Haven't had any issues with it either, engine or otherwise. My city gas mileage beats the Fusion's highway mileage.