2009 Toyota Corolla 1.6 from Egypt

Summary:

It really takes the fun out of driving

I just bought a Toyota Corolla made in South Africa. I believe they should recall this model or fix this problem.

Because when it is in automatic and when the engine shifts from 1st to 2nd, the engine chocks up for a while and then it is released (every time). I spoke to Toyota engineers and they informed me that this problem is common in the 2009 model, and that they are waiting for instructions from Japan.

I have driven BMW, VW Mazda and Honda and never have I seen such a problem. And never would I have believed that Toyota with the reputation of high quality performance would release such a problem, even if it is made in South Africa.

I will be filling a complaint with the consumer protection agency. If anyone wants to ask me anything my e-mail is noble_varieties@yahoo.com. My mobile number is +20122150578, my name is Tamer Mesharafa.

Best Regards.

General Comments:

I have no problem with the interior, it is very spacious. But the color of the seats is very boring.

Review Date: 5th March, 2009

28th Apr 2009, 07:38

Dear Tamer,

Like Ali pointed out, the gearbox's idea is new in Egypt, so we get a bit confused. I have the car BTW with the MMT, & I have to tell you that I ENJOY driving. As a Mechatronics engineer, I read A LOT about the car before buying it, and I was also comparing it to the Honda Civic (if I went back in time, I would buy the Corolla again).

Believe me Mr. Tamer, the car has nothing wrong.

I have had the car since July, and I have done 7000 Kms with (not much because I have another car).

To ALI, the braking system is made by BOSCH as you can see on the master when you open the hood or when you remove the front tire. http://www.4shared.com/file/102201335/f8747a01/IMG_1782.html (this is MY car & I removed the tire to check on the brakes & see how much was left)

The brakes are EXTREMELY powerful, but what confuses people is the BA (Brake Assist system).

You guys need to understand that you should remove your foot from the gas pedal when the car is shifting (because you cannot press the gas pedal while shifting in a MANUAL car), so it's the same concept.

BTW ya Ali, the Corolla has a much powerful engine than the Mazda (122 hp vs 108 hp), but the Mazda has a better chassis.

If you guys need any help with the car, I would be glad to offer my help and meet any of you if you want. My name is Chadi Mamdouh & my number is 0125827412.

Sincerely.

2009 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Low gas costs

I think I have a lemon. This car's engine oils disappear. I've had to add 640ml of new engine oil since I had the car. When I asked about this matter to the dealer, they said it’s normal. But I don’t think so. They only reflashed the ECM.

I’m still carrying extra engine oil.

General Comments:

I've heard very good comments for the Corolla, but my case, it's only been so so.

Handling is shaking terribly at 120KM/H. Boring.

Only good thing is its low fuel cost.

Review Date: 28th September, 2008

27th Nov 2008, 02:00

I had the same problem with my Corolla. The car handled poorly and was a boring little car that was over hyped by reviewers. These cars are for people who don't know any better because they have never driven anything as decent as a VW or Chevrolet.

18th Jan 2009, 22:30

Toyota reputation was owned by their ability to clone proven european design and western tech in general. Like Canon did with European optics. I now rely on the American industry to bring to us their experience in Europe.

Have you driven a Renault lately? Or a Jag with Ford bearings, a Volvo with a Ford platform, shared with Mazda. A Subaru with Saturn design?

Have you driven a Chrysler 300 with the Mercedes E-class suspension? A Nissan with Renault signing the paycheck? A Land Rover with Ford quality control? A Jeep with a Mercedes Diesel with all the Jeep attributes?

A Corolla is based on: Simple design as rear swing axle (Golf, Jetta) McPherson front strut (England). Tranverse engine (British Leland). Electronic Ignition (Chrysler). Catalyst converter (GM). Fuel injection (Cadillac in the 30's) And hopefully an INTELLIGENT AWD based on the torque-splitting US design of the 70's (JEEP BW 1309)

7th Mar 2009, 19:00

I own one too and I must say it's a bad car! The engine is noisy, buzzy, and the body roll is big. The handling is like driving an SUV. After all, the reason why I buy a sedan is to have a great comfort and handling, but not in a Corolla. I prefer buying an SUV or MPV next time.

22nd Oct 2010, 16:39

Good review... Low fuel cost is the only advantage of this car. Apart from that, it's an uncomfortable, ugly, expensive car with a lot of corners cut quality wise.

My friend's girlfriend bought one, and it rattles and makes a lot of noise over 50 mph, feels like it's going to fall apart. This is a 2009 car! Toyota has some serious work to go if they want to regain the trust of the consumer; their legendary quality has gone downhill noticeably over the past 10 years.