2001 Toyota ECHO Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.5L Manual
Most recent distance320000 miles
Previous carGeo Storm

Summary:

Best little economy car ever!

Nothing went wrong unexpectedly.

General Comments:

This car has been INCREDIBLY reliable. Other than regular maintenance (oil, filters, etc) and stuff expected to wear out (tires and wipers), I have had to do very little.

The first set of front brakes lasted 180K, and the battery about the same time. I had to replace the engine at 288K, and dropped in a 38K engine and transaxle from the junk yard at that time. I could probably even have put the original clutch back in, because it still had so much meat on it!

I had to replace the cabin fan after about 300K, and the alternator after 310K. I still have the original air conditioner after 320K. And all while making great mileage.

With the original set of tires I averaged 42MPG highway. Once I replaced the tires, I have gotten from 36-38 MPG highway.

Review Date: 20th March, 2012

23rd Mar 2012, 23:41

How many years did you use the original set of tires?

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

Outstanding

After owning the car for ten years, the switch for the backup lights quit working. Only repair (about $210.00) so far.

General Comments:

Excellent gas mileage, 35-38 mpg in town and 48mpg on the highway. Makes no difference if I am using the A/C or not.

Original brakes and hoses. Belts have been replaced.

On the interstate it kind of moves around due to the wind, or if a big vehicle such as a bus or tractor trailer truck passes me. I mainly use it in town though.

Very comfortable. Easy to get in and out of, and I am 6ft 2in and 245 pounds.

Review Date: 5th October, 2011

Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Bar none, one of the most reliable cars ever made. Simply AMAZING

Nothing. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in my life.

General Comments:

It doesn't have cruise control and it moves around a bit on the highway at high speeds (most likely due to small tires and a high profile), but aside from that, the Toyota Echo has been AMAZING. It is the single most reliable car I have ever owned in my life. It just keeps on going.

If you want a car you don't have to worry about, this is it. I have been BRUTAL on this car, and it's taken everything. I have loaded it up almost twice its capacity in weight and drove from Los Angeles to Oklahoma. I was sure I'd messed up the transmission driving through the mountains of Arizona, but no. The Echo is a heavy weight champ in durability and reliability.

Review Date: 19th March, 2010

Previous carToyota ECHO

Summary:

Marvelous, absolutely marvelous

Occasional plastic piece fell off. Never anything important though.

General Comments:

This car SAVED MY LIFE. After a highway speed wreck, it was in such good shape, I drove 150 miles home.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2010

Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carMercedes-Benz 300SD

Summary:

Great reliable commuter, with over 40MPG average

Nothing has broken yet.

General Comments:

This car has been exceptionally reliable; at 120,000 we have not even replaced the brake pads.

My maintenance has been oil changes every 3k-5k miles, air filter about every 20k miles, and I've replaced the antifreeze and gear oil twice. Also the spark plugs and belts got changed at 100,000 miles.

It seems to run as good as when we bought it at 30,000 miles. The only time I have gotten below 40MPG is when I drove about 90MPH (yes it will do 90) for a tank.

The car is boring, and since my girlfriend abducted it, I don't drive it anymore, but if it was still my daily driver I would have sold it due to it being so slow and boring. After going to a V6, I just can't go back. I'm not faulting the car for being slow and boring as this is what you get for an inexpensive 40MPG vehicle.

Review Date: 19th June, 2009

1st Sep 2010, 00:03

I like mud fences. I sold this car at about 125k miles to my sister who has blown more engines from neglect than anyone else I've known. Now the longevity of the little green ECHO (Gecho) may suffer.