2001 Toyota ECHO Reviews - Page 7 of 8

2001 Toyota ECHO 2-door from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Close to perfect (for me)!

Aside from recall work on break line, nothing.

General Comments:

Great car! Everything I look for in a car: reliability, economy, (sufficient) comfort, (sufficient) performance. I am not a "car head"; I look to my automobile for essential transportation needs -- not style and not high performance (beyond what I need to survive on the interstate). I also feel strongly that cars need to be as efficient as possible, given global political / economic considerations. At 35-42 mpg, the Echo gives me that.

Review Date: 4th May, 2004

2001 Toyota ECHO 1.5 DOHC 16v from North America

Engine and transmission 1.5 DOHC 16v Manual
Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous carFord LTD

Summary:

It is a great little car

No problems so far.

General Comments:

The first few times I saw an ECHO I laughed out loud it was so funny looking. All distorted and mis-shapen like a toy. But after 35 years of working on used Fords, I needed a replacement for my dead LTD, something I didn't have to work on. I drove some Hyundia's because of the price, but a friend asked me to look into Toyota's because of their reliability. My first test drive of an ECHO convinced me. After punching the gas I said out loud to the car salesman, "I gotta get me one of these!" My love for this silly little car is just as strong after 2 years.

Performance is great. It squirts away from a stop and pulls hard for as long as you have the nerve to push it. I would describe it a very eager.

Interior space is great. I regularly put a 275 pounder in the back seat. With the fold down rear seats and dashboard cubby holes, you can put a couple 8 foot 2 X 4s in, with the trunk closed! The other day I lined the very roomy trunk with a tarp and fulled it with mulch. It took me 6 wheelbarrow loads to empty it!

Gas mileage is great. 32-33 city, with the air conditioning on! 34-35 MPG city, without air conditioning. Well over 42 mpg on the highway.

I highly recommend this car to anyone who doesn't have to have all the luxury appointments, but just need a great little car.

Review Date: 12th July, 2003

2001 Toyota ECHO from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Great mileage and comfortable for a small car

The passenger door cannot open. The door handles on the inside and outside don't open the door. I took it to the dealer and he will fix it for $700! The dealer want to rip the inside panel to get to the lock because he can't get to the lock. Question is this a Echo problem others have had?

Review Date: 8th December, 2002

2001 Toyota ECHO 4 door Sedan 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Most bang for the buck

Had absolutely no problems with this car.

General Comments:

Hubby and I looked around to find the best car for the money. The ECHO was certainly it. I have driven the Ford Focus and I would not waste my time or money on it. The ECHO far out does the Ford. The only reason we got rid of this car was my husband wanted a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse and we could not afford two car payments. Excellent car for a student or young couple.

Review Date: 29th April, 2002

2001 Toyota ECHO SDN 1.5 L4 from North America

Engine and transmission 1.5 L4 Automatic
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

An excellent vehicle in every way

I have had absolutely no problems with this car.

General Comments:

This car has been a real joy to own.

The outside of the car is small and very easy to handle and park in tight city situations.

The interior is very big feeling. There is more than enough head and leg room and the seats are very comfortable - even on long trips. The instrument pod is unconventionally located in the top center of the dash, but is actually a very natural and easy-to-see position.

The fit and finish of the car is definitely first-class. There have been no rattles or squeaks even with driving over some rough roads.

The light weight does cause some movement in high winds in freeway driving, but this same light weight helps the car to get 37+ miles per gallon. The acceleration is quick with the small 1.5 liter engine.

Review Date: 28th April, 2002