1992 Toyota Paseo Reviews - Page 7 of 13

1992 Toyota Paseo 1.6 litre from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 litre Manual

Summary:

I love this car with all my heart

Got car in February, 2003.

The trunk and gas door release handles rusted and stopped working about a week after I got it. I just popped off the door jam cover and pulled up the cables themselves. Looks very utilitarian now.

Water pump and radiator went after 3 months.

Starter went that June, but it's very light so I just push started it for 3 months, great for exercise.

Replaced PS strut assembly couple of months ago.

Alternator went in this spring.

Just passed 300,000 km and I finally killed the engine after running it with next to no oil for the last 6 months.

General Comments:

I love this car with all my heart.

Even though it is 13 years old, it looks a lot better than a lot of the other imports that I see driving around. I don't mean that it has less rust (which it does) but that it looks more modern than a lot of other small cars. It certainly looks better than the Toyota Echos you see out and about now. I love to wave at other Paseo drivers too because when you are in this car, you are happy.

It only left me stranded twice in the two years I owned it.

It is extremely comfortable, even for myself who it 6'3" and 180 lbs. I regularly do 3-4 hour trips with this car and only have to get out to stretch if it's after work.

You can't fit much in the back, let alone a human being, but I didn't buy it for my friends, I bought it for myself.

My mom drives a Mazda Protege and took my car for a test drive. She was blown away at the great pickup it has and the smoothness of driving it. The suspension is stiff, without being rigid. You stick to the road all the time and little bumps are barely noticeable. Now I get angry at people who slow down for pot holes while I want to tear right into them. I can usually do turns at twice the recommended speed of them.

It is a great commuter car, perfect for the student on the go. And even though my engine just went kaput (I blew a piston), I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a first car.

Review Date: 31st October, 2005

1992 Toyota Paseo from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance207000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

What a great car!!!

Not much has gone wrong with the car.

I needed fuel injectors cleaned and radiator flushed at about 125000 miles.

A/C went out around 2001.

Replaced original clutch at about 160000 miles.

Cloth seats are definitely getting worn, but what do you expect after 13 years?

There are no leaks, but it burns oil (about 2 quarts a month).

General Comments:

I love this car. It's pretty comfy, fun to drive, very economical (about 34 mpg!!!), and the most reliable car I have ever encountered (my wife has gone through 4 used cars since 2000).

For some reason I don't want to let this car go and I truly love driving it... after reading some other comments, it doesn't look like I'm alone.

If they weren't ridiculously overpriced in the used market, I'd buy another one with less miles and A/C.

Review Date: 29th September, 2005