1986 Toyota Pickup 1 ton 22re from North America

Summary:

Damn thing won't quit running

One tranny that's not supposed to be in the truck, and a head gasket, which is almost guaranteed.

General Comments:

This car's been in my family since 91 or so. It's been totaled at least 10 times by cousins and uncles. I know I side swiped a tree once while offroading.

The most weight I ever hauled was a little over 5000 pounds of crush and run stone in the back. It was a little slow, but not a problem, and didn't break anything.

Same brakes and bearings are still being used 3 years after the fact. This truck is beyond a Toyota.

I recycle well drilling bits, and I travel all over the Eastern Seaboard with at least 2500 lb on its back, 2 and 3 times a month with not one, and I do mean not one single problem.

OK it's not the fastest, but it doesn't have to be. All I have to do is get to the place I'm going.

The frame is still perfect, but body is full of bondo though from being whacked so many times. You wouldn't believe how much bondo flew off when I hit the tree. You'd be even more surprised as to how much was put back in.

I have a supra transmission in it, and at 300000 it wouldn't stay in 5th gear anymore, so I drove around in 4th for the next 15000. Finally got another Supra trans and replaced it in a day; very easy to do, just nuts and bolts. Probably could've done it faster with 2 people.

Just this year alone I've put 50000 miles on it.

Some helpful hints; always keep oil in it. It doesn't matter how old it is, just as long as it's in there. I've gone 20000 and just changed the oil the other day; never noticed a difference.

It sometimes smokes a little when it starts up, but with that many miles I think it's allowed to.

Did have to put one head gasket on it due to a sticky thermostat. So now I don't have a thermostat at all. And when I want heat I just use cardboard in front of the radiator.

Review Date: 24th April, 2008

14th Mar 2009, 08:29

I'm about to get one. Every review page I go to says this truck won't stop. I'm looking forward to getting mine.

14th Mar 2009, 10:39

"American trucks, aside from the Ford diesels, which aren't even in the same class as mine, ought to be very ashamed of themselves."

Which of the American trucks in my family should be ashamed of themselves, my brother's '89 Ford Ranger with 420,000+ miles or my '91 Chevy S-10 with 250,000+ miles, both of which are on their original engines and transmissions and have had no major problems?

1986 Toyota Pickup Short Bed 4x2 2.4 Ltr Carb. from North America

Summary:

Great Truck!

Fuel Pump at 120,000.

New Belts at 130,000.

Beginning to rust pretty bad, but what do you expect from a truck built in 1986!

General Comments:

Great little truck. It gets me where I need to go and has been extremely reliable.

Review Date: 26th January, 2008

1986 Toyota Pickup 2.4L 22R from North America

Summary:

Bodacious

Only things caused by poor mechanics and maintenance.

General Comments:

This is an outstanding vehicle.

I am a Chevy pick-up person if I could afford it.

It is very hard to adjust to the smallness of this vehicle. It feels like a skate board with body and engine after driving large pick-ups and trucks.

I am not sure I would like to travel much in it, but for real estate and driving local in the small town I live in you cannot get any better.

Review Date: 25th October, 2007

1986 Toyota Pickup 2.4L 22R from North America

Summary:

Great engine - already bought another!

I bought this after it had been donated to a charity. The head gasket had blown. The top end was repaired by a shady mechanic.

He installed a fuel pump without the proper spacer, but the truck tried to run any way. He installed another one that I bought which also failed. Once I installed the spacer the fuel pump problem went away.

I found out why the engine overheated. The truck had been used as a field truck on a cattle farm, the radiator had filled with MUD. I had to replace the radiator and flush the engine several times to get all the mud out. All this time, the truck ran any way. The mechanic had told me he installed a new thermostat... there was none in it.

The alternator was caked with mud when I got it. I took a chance and power washed it out of the cooling vanes. After 2 years the alternator did finally die, but is easily replaced.

General Comments:

This is an ugly beat up truck that refuses to stop running.

The difference in price of gas between the Bronco and this truck allowed me to pay for the truck in about 10 weeks. I have not started the Bronco since.

I am a big person, this is a bit hard to get into, but there is surprisingly enough room for me to be comfortable once inside.

I found another of the same year with the fuel injection and turbo WITH A/C and a radio. I look forward to more happy miles.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2007