1986 Toyota Pickup EFI, 1/2 ton extra cab, 2wd 2.4 liter from North America

Summary:

If you take care of it, it will take care of you

The crankcase seal is currently leaking a slight bit.

The front pump seal on the transmission has been replaced.

The three u-joints were recently replaced.

The console cover was worn, and I had it reupholstered.

I wish the turning radius was tighter.

General Comments:

I have been very pleased with this vehicle.

I maintain it religiously; Castrol 20/50 GTX oil every 3000 miles/4 months, 4 ounces of Marvel mystery oil mixed with the gasoline every other tank, and also put in Marvel mystery oil in place of some of the oil when it's changed occasionally.

Everything has held up very well I believe, and I'm looking forward to driving this vehicle to the 400,000 or 500,000 mile mark.

Review Date: 1st August, 2003

16th Jan 2005, 23:28

I too have a 1986 unit. I bought it in 2000 with 233,000 miles on it and all I do is start it and go. It now has 300,000 and it runs fine. I had to replace the head gasket at 286,000 in 2003. I refuse to sell, tade or part with it. The long bed comes in handy every year when I buy a Christmas tree and the extended cab is great for putting my jacket away.

16th Jul 2007, 21:44

I agree I will not part with mine ether not for love or money!

22nd Jan 2012, 05:14

Getting one tomorrow for five hundred! A blue 2wd with hardly any rust on it. Head gasket's been replace, all I need is a windshield and a passenger window and I'm rolling!!! The seats are worn, but I don't care at all!

It's my buddy's, and I've wanted it since he got it! 4 speed though? I see a lot of reviews have five in it, hopefully it won't hurt with the gas mileage! Ha, I could really care less though, I've fallen in love with Toyota trucks built in the 80's. If the new ones hold up, I'll probably get one in a few years, we'll see. I'm sure this one will last me ten years solid.

1986 Toyota Pickup SR5 turbo from North America

Summary:

Very dependable and gets me anywhere I need to go.

The clutch plate collapsed at about 190,000 miles and a radiator hose cracked shortly after, but other than that, there has been nothing wrong with the truck mechanically.

General Comments:

They seats aren't the most comfortable, but they, and the whole interior are in excellent condition.

The paint is chipping on the hood and the light gray decals on the sides are faded, but I still think it is a very good looking truck considering how old it is.

Review Date: 5th May, 2003

1986 Toyota Pickup 22R 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

The amazing Japanese creation!

Almost nothing. The carburetor wore out at around 198,000 miles and I replaced it with a compatible Weber. The head and gasket had to be replaced because of a stripped spark plug, but other than that it has just been general maintenance (like timing chain, plugs, wires, etc.)

General Comments:

This truck is awesome!The truck has over 200,000 miles on it, and it still runs perfectly, almost like new. The engine is quick and quiet, and in my opinion, the 22R is one of the best engines ever produced. The suspension is stiff, but tough as I have not had to replace any of the stock equipment. The 4wd and front hubs work perfectly, and the truck will climb almost anything you steer it at. It is a lovely daily driver, and has been a great automobile!!

Review Date: 26th March, 2003

1986 Toyota Pickup Short bed from North America

Summary:

Fine piece of machinery

Not much! I have had the general wear and tear repairs (muffler, tires, etc), plus I have rebuilt the starter and replaced the timing chain at 190,000.

General Comments:

I can't believe how well this car runs with all these miles on it. I hope it lasts another 100,000.

Review Date: 5th February, 2001

1986 Toyota Pickup 1 ton 22RE from North America

Summary:

A darn good small truck

Brakes, exhaust, radiator, a/c.

General Comments:

Rock solid reliable work truck. Boring as all get out to drive. Tows several tons without breaking a sweat. Squirrelly as all get out in the rain or snow.

Review Date: 30th May, 2000

1986 Toyota Pickup 22r from North America

Not much has gone wrong. Replaced carburettor at 150,000 miles. All other expenses for wear items (tires, brakes, etc.)

General Comments:

Most dependable vehicle I've owned. 183,000 miles so far and still going strong. Interior and exterior still look good as well. In general a very reliable and durable vehicle. I highly recommend Toyota & will purchase again if I ever need to.

Review Date: 25th September, 1999