2005 Toyota Sienna LE 3.3L from North America

Summary:

Great van despite some minor issues

Rear hatch hydraulic arms failed and were replaced under warranty.

Front brake caliper pins frozen at 88000 miles.

General Comments:

This van has the smoothest shifting automatic transmission I have ever experienced.

Driver side sliding door squeaks going over speed bumps or rough roads. Lack of structural strength?

Reliable and powerful engine.

Comfortable front seats, so, so back seats.

Terrible tire wear even with normal tires (not the run flat type) I have used a variety of brands and price range tires; nothing seems to last longer than about 35000 miles.

Review Date: 27th August, 2011

2005 Toyota Sienna V6 from North America

Summary:

Best mini van I have ever drove

Normal wear and tear.

I also had a recall with the front driver's door.

It never left me stranded in all my traveling.

I did have to replace timing belt and front brakes.

Front head light covers changed color really quick, however I live in Florida, so it is a way of life.

General Comments:

I am a salesmen and travel about 45,000 miles a year, and this car never left me stranded. I am also a very fast driver; 80 mph most times.

My company has 5-6 of these, and all of us have the same story. It is a great car that you can really drive, plus it is fun.

My new 2010 does not handle as good, but it's bigger, and already has 14,000 miles on it.

Review Date: 31st December, 2010

2005 Toyota Sienna CE 3.3L from North America

Summary:

Very comfy, but too many hardware problems

Too many hardware problems!! But still a great van!!

General Comments:

Right side sliding door always jams, and things just always fall off.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2010

2005 Toyota Sienna XLT 3.3 V6 from North America

Summary:

Expensive to maintain, problematic, luxury van

40K On Purchase: Driver's door not working properly. Within 10K door the spot weld broke away from the door check. As the vehicle was out of warranty, we had to pay to get it fixed.

42K - new tires. Have purchased a new set of tires every 20K miles - the thing eats tires.

62K - standard maintenance = $1,500.

105K - door weld breaks again.

105K - air conditioner breaks down while in Florida in 100 degree heat, shooting pieces of metal into the air conditioning lines - beg and plead at dealership and get repair cost lowered to $1,700 from $2,500 quoted for repair. The dealer stated they see a lot of air conditioner repairs.

80K - radio starts having problems on cold mornings - LCD display freaks out and radio does not work. Eventually works once warmed up. Did not repair.

110K - Toyota has a recall on door, but refuses to fix ours as we now have over 100k on the vehicle.

120K - sunroof explodes while driving down the road. Insurance repairs, but I believe it was caused by pressure waves when the windows are down.

120K maintenance performed = $1,500.

130K - Air conditioner fails again - this time, separate part of air conditioner fails - $1,200 repair.

135K - sunroof motor fails. Just got it cranked shut and left it.

140K - car on 4rth set of tires, very expensive on 17" XLT rims.

General Comments:

Fantastic engine, smooth car, very poorly made in other areas, especially for a $36K vehicle.

Extremely expensive to maintain. We do all the maintenance, but have still had extremely expensive repairs from mechanical failures.

Poor service from Toyota on door, air conditioner and sunroof problems.

I believe it will run for over 200K, but am extremely disappointed in Toyota's poor response to our very common issues and problems.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2010

2005 Toyota Sienna LE from North America

Summary:

Great car for families and long distance drives

Tires at 40000 miles which is normal.

Recently the airbag warning light came on.

Other than that, nothing!

General Comments:

Great car specially for kids and cargo. To take the 2nd row seats out is a nightmare.

Engine and transmission are in great harmony with lots of power.

Review Date: 24th August, 2009

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE V6 gasoline from North America

Summary:

With the glaring exception of the tires, the car runs fine

We bought a new 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE model with run-flat tires. At the time of purchase, no one at the dealer advised us of the problems Toyota had been experiencing with the Dunlop run-flats. A class action lawsuit had already been settled by Toyota with the owners of all wheel drive Sienna equipped with the notorious Dunlop run-flat tires.

My wife is the primary driver of the van (volleyball mom.) She noticed severe tire wear on the outside rim of the tires at approx. 10k miles. The Walmart tire technicians refused to rotate the tires due to the wear. I took my Toyota back to the dealer who claimed the tires were fine and rotated the tires.

Within two months, the tires had visibly worn badly. I returned to the Toyota dealership only to be told I was a bad owner and hadn't rotated the tires properly. I reminded them they had rotated the tires asking them to check their maintenance records. The Toyota service manager confirmed the facts but insisted the tires were wearing as expected.

Not willing to risk my families safety, I went to Les Schwab Tires and replaced all four tires at a cost of nearly $600.00.

The lack of service, honesty, and integrity of the local Toyota dealer and company as whole convinced me to never purchase another Toyota vehicle.

I've owned Nissans before. Next time, Nissan, and I won't look back.

General Comments:

The car seems solid and well built. The failure of Toyota to step up and take ownership of the issue of the Dunlop run-flat tires is making me tell all my friends to steer clear of Toyota products.

Review Date: 13th December, 2008