2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2.0 gasoline from North America

This is a nightmare of a car; stay away!

A short time after buying this car (about 51,000 miles), the transmission began shifting very hard into third gear. It was soon found that the transmission was shot and needed to be rebuilt. Needless to say this was an extremely expensive repair.

The car was out of the shop for around five months when the now well known electrical problems surfaced. Every light on my dashboard would flash on and off. This led finally, to the car breaking down while driving to the shop. My golf was in and out of the dealership for about a month until the problem was solved. Most of the engines sensors were replaced and a new larger alternator put in. They claimed it was all due too bad grounding in the electrical system.

My car is now at roughly 67,000 miles and the transmission is completely dead. Not a cheap repair!!!

General Comments:

When the car was working, it was pleasant to drive, but that fact is totally overshadowed by the cars wild unreliability. The car handles well when it is actually working.

The interior on them feels very cheap. The fabric on the inside comes away from the doors easily, and the overall quality of everything else is not good.

I am extremely disappointed with the quality of this car. Despite many good reviews, it seems more and more owners are running into the same problems. In my opinion their service department is well below par, and reliability is a joke. Stay away from VW.

Review Date: 21st May, 2010

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2.0 from North America

A money sucking piece of junk

To date I have had to replace the tie rod ends, O2 sensor, struts, control arms, the rack and pinion assembly, belts, rotors and brakes a few times.

It uses oil, wheel bearing on front left, head lights go out on a regular basis, and other minor problems.

In the past couple of months it has cost over 3K to keep on the road. Terrible for a car with only 114000K on it.

General Comments:

The car was fun to drive in the first few years, but now it just costs too much maintain.

Review Date: 15th May, 2010

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 from North America

Stylish, yet very pricey to maintain

O2 sensor.

Engine temperature gauge.

Faulty fuel pump.

Mass air flow sensor.

Leaky vacuum hoses.

Air conditioner quit working.

Outer tie rod almost broke (but I got it fixed just in time).

All of this happened between 48 and 53,000 miles. Like many other people have said, the check engine light came on repeatedly and I kept going back to the VW dealership to get things fixed (all of which I've mentioned).

General Comments:

All in all, I dumped about two grand into fixing this thing up since I got it. Too much for just over a year of having it and such low mileage. Problem after problem has occurred and each repair has cost me over $200, and that's on the cheap end. Most of the repairs have been 3, 4, 5 or even 6 hundred.

I love my car's styling and feel, but I just can't handle the costly maintenance required to keep it running smoothly.

My recommendation to future VW buyers, buy a brand new one or not at all, and get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Review Date: 12th August, 2009

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.9 turbo diesel from North America

Great handling and comfort, but not so great reliability

- One door catch had to be replaced.

- One power window mechanism had to be replaced.

- There was a recall for a malfunction in the brake switch (paid by the manufacturer).

- The starter had to be replaced and the VW OEM battery I bought at the dealer, had to be replaced as well because, it wouldn't start below -15C (5F) (it was determined that the trouble wasn't related to glow plug)

- All brakes and rotors were replaced.

- Front & rear shock absorber had to be replaced.

- The front right coil spring was broken so I replaced it too.

-Rear axle beam bushing and lower control arm bushing needed replacement.

- Rear calipers needed to be replaced because the parking brake mechanism wasn't working correctly.

- I had to replace the front calipers too, because the front rotors were always warping. I replaced those rotors twice and still, I always got vibrations in the brake pedals after 2-3 month of using those rotors.

- Both thermostatic fans will need replacement soon.

General Comments:

- The car is really comfortable, and I love how the Europeans are designing cars to have such a good handling.

- I also love the fact that I almost always get an average of 50 mpg per tank with the little diesel engine.

- However, sometime the noise and chatter from this engine can be annoying.

Also, you have to get used to small (or bigger) troubles with these Volkswagen, cause you can get tons of them.

Review Date: 7th May, 2009