2001 Volkswagen Golf GTI Turbo 1.8T from UK and Ireland

Good while it's working, but costly when goes wrong (very often)

Lost power so resulted in changing 1st coil and then after 2months same problem and had to change the other 3.

Dashboard lights blinking on/off.

Computer light on/off when going over speed bumps.

Electrics melted in result melted my fuse box to a little ball.

Turbo now on its way out!!!

General Comments:

The car was good when it worked properly.

It looks good, but expensive to fix.

Wanted one when I passed my test, but don't think it's worth it now.

Review Date: 24th November, 2005

2001 Volkswagen Golf from North America

They suck. I am now wishing I had bought a Ford

Well for starters, I bought this car in November, and it was the car of my dreams I guess you could say.

Not even a month after buying the thing, the engine light went on. We got it fixed, and then about a week later, it was on again. We went back, and they looked at it for free, thank god. They could not find anything wrong with it, so from then on, I decided to ignore it, which seems to actually be doing good, considering it's been a year now, and nothing else has gone wrong. But what kind of car do you buy for 20 grand or more that's a piece of crap?

My brother bought a 2001 Jetta 1.8T, and it has done nothing but put a hole in his pocket.

My advice to anyone is VOLKSWAGENS SUCK. They may look nice, but like they say, never judge a book by its cover!

Review Date: 6th November, 2005

15th Feb 2007, 13:21

I totally agree with you. I STILL OWE 8000 on this POS, and they are treating it like it's a 20 year old car!! I bought this new, and it has been the worst money decision I have ever made. Who would have thought I would have to try to trade it in after 6 years and 60000 miles!

Transmission replaced, 5 recalls, engine light, gas gauge possessed, crank shaft, catalytic converter, air bag light possessed... the list goes on. $19000 car? Sounds more like a $9000 car to me.

15th Feb 2007, 19:04

I learned my lesson back in 1988.They are great cars when they are not in the shop.

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS from North America

A mixed blessing

Minor electrical problems have been the bane of this vehicle.

- headlights go out frequently

- brake lights have gone out more often than they should

- window motor on driver's side went out three times (covered by a recall)

- same on passenger's side, twice

- temperature gage went out

- mass airflow sensor went out (covered by a recall)

Also, the interior finish started to go early on, in small ways.

All of this has caused a great deal of irritation. Everything you've heard about Volkswagen customer service is pretty much true. There really isn't any.

General Comments:

Mechanically, the car has run beautifully and been extremely reliable. The interior is beautifully designed and this cute little car is a real joy to drive. It handles extremely well in wet weather and dry, and is just a solid little car all around. The problems I've had have been very irritating because in every other way, the car has been a highly reliable and pleasure.

Review Date: 17th May, 2005

2001 Volkswagen Golf from North America

A huge waste

The first problem was my ABS system. Then after the dealer fixed it my brakes felt loose, so I had to get them bleed-ed.

All of my windows have had mechanical problems.

My 1st set of brakes wore off really fast.

My headlights, speedometer, and center console lights went out.

I find weird random parts that belong to my car on the floor of the car.

Once while driving I heard a huge bang coming from the bottom of the passenger seat. When I went to check it, I found that a huge spring had popped off from the seat. This soon happened to my driver's seat 2 months later.

While driving last year, my side rear view mirror cracked and popped off for no apparent reason. I didn't hit anything, and there were no other cars around.

The most recent problem happened 2 nights ago, when someone was changing lanes and almost ran me out of the lane. I went to honk the horn, and it didn't sound at all. That was extremely irritating.

Review Date: 16th January, 2005