If you want a high-performance executive express, buy a BMW or Merc
1) 2 sets of HT leads were replaced.
2) Engine cooling fans seized.
3) Dozens of rattles, buzzes and creaks.
4) CV joints conked in.
5) Engine developed a rough, buzzing note (Normal).
7) Bits and pieces fell off inside the car: door handles, door openers, grab-handles etc etc etc.
The Jetta is completely overrated, and is not worth the money VW asks for it. They pitch it against compact BMWs, Mercs & Volvos but it comes nowhere close in terms of build-quality, integrity or economic viability. Fuel consumption on this beast is laughable. I am sure a '69' Vette returns better mpg figures.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 7th July, 2000