I love it! Simple maintance, but expensive to fix major problems (at a dealer)
* Catalytic converter broke apart at 62000 miles, dealer replaced it for $1800 for parts, $600 labor, and $400 storage... last time I went to the dealer for service.
* Driver-side rear caliper seized at 89000 miles. Since it was winter and I was low on cash, I forced it open and replaced the rotor and pads on both rear sides. $300.
* Did not have problems with caliper until 124000 miles. Now I am replacing both rear calipers, pads, and rotors. $450.
* Since the front rotors are starting to grove from pad wear (about 20% front pads left), I am going to replace the fronts at the same time as the rears, 125000 miles. $400.
* When I bought the car, the glove box door had a broken hinge. Replaced at 80000 miles. $125.
* Noticed the oil cap leaking, will replace soon. $8.
* Now I have a broken passenger coil spring and two blown shocks... I had 100lbs of subwoofer and a few large tools in back for a long period of time... My fault. $450 entire suspension.
* 96000 miles timing belt changed. $900.
* VW says to replace the oil every 5000 miles. I replaced it at 3000 with full synthetic and a new filter. $45.
* Replaced intake and cabin filter every 10000 miles. $75.
* I can tell I have a defective hazard lamp switch, but haven't brought it to the dealer -> $$$.
* Bushings on front sway bar are worn. $15.
* Last winter I slid into the ditch, lost control while doing something stupid.
* Bent passenger drive shaft (CV Joint), tie rods, and control arm bushings/bolts. $1200.
I love driving my car. I have had no mechanical problems besides the brakes and cat-converter. I feel the backseat is too small for 6'0" 200lb male, I hate riding in it, just like driving. I will buy another VW at any time. 32mpg - reliable.
I have not suffered other problems I see other VW's having: blown headlamp/tailamp, minor electrical, exhaust leaks, cold starting (or not starting), and other little problems I cannot remember.
* Cold air intake
* Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust
* 30%front, 50% rear tint
* Audi TT short throw shifter
* Kenwood Deck
* Infinity speakers
* MTX Subs
* Blue LED under dash (matching gauges)
* iPOD adaptor
* Custom GPS pod installed
* Light weight rims
* Super sticky tires.
* Neuspeed 1.5"Drop suspension
* Bilstein struts and shocks
* Neuspeed front and rear sway bars
* Leather seats.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 13th October, 2008