2000 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Page 2 of 89

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 from Albania

Engine and transmission VR6 Automatic
Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

I want to like the car, but it isn't really well built

Glove compartment broke.

Center armrest broke.

Cup holder broke.

Check engine light keeps coming on, dealer couldn't fix, but says nothing is wrong with the engine.

Water leaked into car because of clogged sunroof drains. Terrible design flaw! Led to other problems from water damage.

$1200 on hoses and such at 75k miles. Not a huge surprise.

General Comments:

Car is fun to drive. Engine is rather quick and the car corners well, although with a bit of excessive body roll. Gets mediocre mileage, at best. Nice interior.

Review Date: 20th October, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLX or GLS 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

This car is annoying as hell

A few problems:

(1) The alarm system. Completely a wreck. I would have the alarm going off randomly and would have to push the button to make it stop. The locking system would trigger the alarm at times (i.e. if you didn't turn the key properly) I resorted to using the key with the battery beeper went out. Nobody told me that I better get a spare key made of the electrical version before the battery dies, or you never get another electrical key again.

(2) It's too low to the ground. I really drive my cars, and within the 1st week of having this car, I broke the very weak oil pan... that eventually is what killed the car in the end... another broken oil pan. It's also so low to the ground that you end up ripping off the front bumper every time you park toward a curb.

(3) Electric system lights on the console. They never went off, even when the problems were fixed.

General Comments:

To be fair it was reliable. Expensive as hell to fix, but reliable if you drive it properly and didn't do anything to offend it.

Review Date: 5th October, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Jetta V6 from Germany

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

It's my baby :(

It started off that I would drive for about an hour, and then if I turned it off, it wouldn't start back up, so I would pour some oil in and it would start right back up. There was no oil leak either that I am aware of.

Then days go by, and I can only drive shorter and shorter distances before it'll just turn off. Now I can drive it about ten minutes and it'll die. I have to wait about an hour or so to start it back up. I've replaced the heat coil, fuel pump, new tires, new brakes, and the check engine light has been on since I bought it. I poured gasoline on the filter one day after it died to check if it was an electrical problem or something else, and it still didn't start, soo I'm guessing it's electrical. Help please.

Review Date: 29th September, 2010

30th Sep 2010, 15:42

Welcome to the world of VW/Audi ownership. You need to get that code read, otherwise, you will just be guessing at what is wrong with the car. The guessing will make you just like most of the VW/Audi dealerships.

30th Sep 2010, 15:43

Sorry, should have added to include your engine type and transmission, although since you are in Germany, you probably have the manual trans.

2000 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDI turbo diesel from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 1.9 TDI turbo diesel Manual
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

Great if it's running right

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI, and for no apparent reason it lost power. Reading comments, I have learned that it seems to be possibly a MAF sensor, changed it out, doesn't seem to be the problem. Didn't cost me anything because we have three of them. Process of elimination has lead me to believe that the next step should be clean intake manifold or check cats.

General Comments:

I'm new to the VW experience, and up to now quite happy. Once I have resolved this problem, I will report on my findings.

Review Date: 4th September, 2010

5th Sep 2010, 12:15

Is it throwing any engine codes?

10th Nov 2012, 09:04

The boost sensor in the top of the intercooler will cause a loss of power issue too.