2000 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Page 3 of 89

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 2.8 VR6 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.8 VR6 Manual
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Speed, luxury, and power

I got this car in pretty good shape, but the person before me didn't take great care of the body. There are scratches and dings all over the car, and the front bumper was almost ripped off.

I've done a lot of work on it to perfect some things but there were only a few small problems that were a bit costly.

Things needed replaced/fixed...

- Paint touch-ups

- Engine tune-up

- 5 Disc CD player

- Armrest latch

The A/C was the most expensive thing to replace. It squeaks pretty bad, but I'm going to put some WD40 on it to see if that helps.

All these problems are pretty common on this car and most cars, so if you keep it clean and up to date, it's a great and powerful car.

General Comments:

Performance parts..

- Magnaflow exhaust

- 5% tint

- Blue calipers

- Smoked taillights

- White powder-coated rims

What I want to get..

- 19" white rims

- Lo pro tires

- Sound system

- Halogen lights

- K&N Cool-Air intake.

I love my VR6, and would most definitely buy a new one if I had the money. People always say how you have to replace a lot of things, but that's true with any car you buy. Don't treat it bad, and it will love you as much as you love it!

Review Date: 24th August, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 from North America

Model year2000
Previous carVolkswagen NISSAN SENTRA

Summary:

Great car before 145000 mileage

Timing belt blew out, bent all valves at 160000.

Radiator fans at 160000.

Overheating at 184000 - replaced thermostat fans again, some pipes and hoses. Will check water pump?

Gear wire leading to engine slips out and causes the gears in the cabin to slip out as well.

General Comments:

This is a dependable car, but once it had started overheating everything has left me wondering what it is. It has very expensive parts but I live near Mex so the mechanics are cheaper.

I love the little car, but I am so tired of the bigger problems it has.

Review Date: 5th August, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 1.9 turbo diesel from North America

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

I've got my money's worth

Problem with MAF sensor (mass airflow).

Problem with power windows.

Problem with engine immobilizer security system.

General Comments:

My 2000 Jetta TDI has run fine for 305 k miles with few problems, and gets 50 - 55 mpg.

Review Date: 21st July, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8turbo from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 1.8turbo Automatic

Summary:

Stylish but expensive

Had the car for about 4 months, and now it's at the junk yard.

I owned the car for about 2 weeks, and the transmission started skipping, so I got it fixed.

A week later, the car started to not start up after being driven (over heating), and wouldn't start up until it cooled. Then after about two weeks of doing that, the car would stop running completely while driving.

After that was fixed, the car shut down completely while driving on highway, and I found out the timing belt broke, and that caused the whole engine to go to trash.

Never again am I getting a VW; it was a beautiful first car, and I had it for 4 months, but the maintenance was awful.

General Comments:

I spent more on maintenance on this car than it was worth. Love the car, great and sporty, but it kills the wallet.

Review Date: 17th July, 2010

18th Jul 2010, 23:11

It really bugs me when something goes wrong with an import, and right away, an "Import Lover" is first to bash the owner for not staying up on maintenance, although this reviewer bought it used. Had this been a domestic car, it would have been the manufacturer's fault, right?

I feel for the reviewer, as they clearly got ripped off. Getting a lemon is never fun. The sad thing is, according to this site and many others, this model year Jetta, as well as many other VW's are something to be avoided, I just wish they would have found this before purchasing. Unfortunately, you never really know what to expect from a used car, import or domestic. The one thing that we do need to keep in mind, is that cars are machines, and they break. At one point or another, new or used, import or domestic, they break. Please don't be the first to blame the owner whom you know nothing about. Thanks.