2000 Volkswagen Polo SE 1.4i 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Brilliant car, a dream to drive and would recommend to everyone

RE: Cutting out at roundabouts, corners etc.

I just wanted to say that we had this problem, and like most people, thought it was the throttle body. Took it to the garage and he agreed. When we went to collect it, it turned out that it wasn't the throttle body after all, it was actually the immobiliser that was immobilising the car periodically. He reset the immobiliser for us, and the problem has never returned. It cost us £41.00, but that included resetting the immobiliser and cleaning the throttle body anyway. The mechanic did say that generally it is a throttle body problem when you encounter these problems, but it can be the immobiliser, although it's not common.

Also, sometimes the car won't start, and all you hear is a "click", but all lights come on. If you jump start her, she'll run for anything between 4 days and 4 weeks, but if you bump start her, she'll only run for that day?! Had a diagnostic done, and the only fault that came back was the immobiliser, so must be mechanical. Also, had the fuel filter/system cleaned out, and all sensors cleaned, air filter checked, battery drained and checked and voltage, starter motor checked, alternator checked, coil pack checked, glow plugs checked, ignition barrel checked, and he checked that the frequency on the key was correct, which it was. Nothing flagging up though. Thinking it might be something as simple as a loose wire/earth. She's going into garage this week, so will let you know how we get on.

She's away to get a new timing belt, as she's just hit the 60,000 miles and a full service.

General Comments:

Even though we've had these issues, the one thing I really like is that she always gets me home, even when something is wrong, and that's a blessing in my eyes. Nothing worse than being stuck in the back of beyond with a non starting car!

She drives like a dream, and she sticks to the road like no other car I have ever had.

She's comfortable and luxurious on the inside, and she's just as attractive on the outside!

So cheap to run, and get great miles to her as well. If I fill up the tank (roughly £40.00), I usually get between 380/400 miles.

Parts are cheap and easy to get hold of, and it's in a cheap tax bracket.

I love my Polo, and despite the issues, I would never be without her. Like any car, you are going to encounter some problems, and the Polo is just the same, but totally worth it in so many different ways.

My next car will be VW, and I'll probably stick to that for the rest of my life!

Review Date: 10th January, 2011

2000 Volkswagen Polo 16v 1.4 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Lively performance, but a few too many problems for me

Ignition barrel just stopped working one day.

Door lock collapsed on driver's side.

Pedal box started to give away where the clutch is, due to the welds starting to break, causing premature wear on the clutch.

The car had just had its third clutch put into it before I sold it, however I understand driving style can be a factor in clutch wear. I've never had another car wear clutches that fast though.

Pedal box then required replacement.

Gear selection started to become difficult, and gears started to crunch into 2nd and 3rd.

Electric window on passenger side stopped working, then miraculously fixed itself a few weeks later.

The car began to stall when slowing down for junctions etc as the revs dropped.

General Comments:

I was quite disappointed in my 4 years of ownership. When the car was working, I thought it was fantastic. Had very lively acceleration from a very good engine, that was powerful for its size, and a nice interior/standard sound system.

However, I feel the problems I had were a few too many, and parted ways with this car gladly. I know Volkswagens are well known for their reliability, so I suspect I was just really unlucky.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2010