1995 Volvo 850 Reviews - Page 8 of 20

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.4L from North America

Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 2.4L Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

This car is a timeless beauty

A few wear and tear issues have gone wrong, brake pads and rotors, control arms, axle boots, FL wheel bearing, FL Shock Plate Mount, mostly suspension issues. All of these issues arose after the vehicle pulled strong for 12 years!

Common issues have arose; faulty instrument cluster, dash lights out, park neutral position switch is glitchy, AC compressor leaking, and the radiator cracked after a 12 hour sustained drive with the radiator half full, my bad.

General Comments:

This is easily the greatest car ever created! I love this car it is my baby, I am considering restoring it to factory condition with a re-paint, re-upholster, and acid bath of the engine components. I would do anything to keep this car running, and would recommend anyone out there to purchase this vehicle. It runs very smooth and I can hardly feel the gears shift. This vehicle easily takes even the sharpest corners and I can get a quick jump from any stoplight. Every day I look forward to driving this vehicle, and I intend upon keeping it for many years to come.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2009

1995 Volvo 850 SE from North America

Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

This thing is a tank! 246,000 kms and still going!

The alignment needs to be checked regularly, most likely due to my winter driving habits.

Has a small oil leak from the main seal. I never fixed it, I just regularly check my oil and top up when needed.

The brakes have been giving my trouble after 200,000 kms.

The wiper motor died just after 220,000 kms.

General Comments:

I bought the car for $6500 in 2004 with 80,000 kms on it and I have only had minor problems with it. It's still a comfortable ride and I would buy another Volvo in a second.

The guys at the dealership have been great when I've brought it in for repairs. They fixed my washer fluid line free of charge and never BS me on what needs to be done.

Review Date: 5th January, 2009

1995 Volvo 850 T5 2.3 petrol turbo from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.3 petrol turbo Automatic
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

Exceptional

It doesn't wash itself or vacuum itself out.

In other words nothing at all.

General Comments:

The ultimate all-rounder, buy a good one and it should be an excellent vehicle.

All 850's are bulletproof and over engineered, and the turbo'd ones have the performance to equal the build quality (the rozzers still use the current model for motorway pursuit!).

Excellent around town, silent and comfortable on long journeys. Quality interiors.

Don't expect economy, but it ain't bad for what it is, and you won't be paying much for repairs as reliability is well above average; I've owned many different cars, but neither of my 850's have ever let me down in any way.

The originals (1992-97) set the standard, unfortunately the later V70's do not seem robust.

Review Date: 9th September, 2008

1995 Volvo 850 turbo from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission turbo Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

After 3 years, the automatic driver seat failed.

Radiator leak at 100,000 and also had to replace heating coil at the same time.

At 90,000 miles, the car began to make a whiney noise when you start it up in the morning. When it warms up, the noise goes away. Now, at 101,000 miles, it makes the whiney noise even after the first morning startup, but still goes away once the engine is warmed up a bit. Not sure why it does this. Repair shop didn't know for sure.

Weather strip began to peel and crack.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2008

18th Jan 2010, 06:17

The noise could be the ATF filter getting clogged. That happens on this type and is not extremely expensive.

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo from North America