2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 from North America

Avoid socialism

Name it.

The highlights:

Bizarre electrical insanity. Eats batteries now. You cannot let it sit without running the car for thirty minutes every couple of days. It is designed to fail with great debt paid by the owner.

Volvo was a Ford owned brand, supposedly assembled in Sweden by Volvo with Volvo, Ford, GM, and Bosch etcetera parts, including an entirely unreliable GM transmission that's been swapped out twice.

General Comments:

It's a polished turd or lemon; as you like it. The wife insisted she should have it. In typical female fashion, wifey refers to it as she. I refer to it as the hangar queen. Those in the aviation business know what I mean. I am amused that I can search the Interweb for solutions to this pig's problems with some success.

The best part of the fairy tale is that the thing will not rust, period.

Review Date: 18th May, 2015

19th May 2015, 16:20

Shame it was unreliable, as you could've had it remapped/chipped being a T6 up to about 315 HP and say 330lb ft torque easily, and as long as the auto box didn't shred to pieces with the torque, it would've been a right sleeper.

That's got me thinking for a bit of fun... ha ha!! Looking on Autotrader, there's one for sale 109 miles from me on a 02 52 reg with 132k miles on the clock that looks clean for £1195!!

24th May 2015, 03:34

They could have done a much better job, but hey it's quittin' time, so...

25th May 2015, 15:07

Interesting that you'd rather own a car where no one can work out how to fix its faults, rather than owning one where they can - I'd much rather own a car I can fix cheaply!

2000 Volvo S80 2.9L from North America

Beautiful JUNK

ABS module failure.

Water pump, t-stat replaced.

All belts replaced.

Front struts replaced.

Passenger side ABS wheel sensor replaced.

Front lower ball joints replaced.

Rear sway links replaced.

Passenger side wheel and bearing assembly replaced.

Reset CAN bus system several times.

Door lock system faulty (still needs repair).

Complete transmission failure (numerous attempts to properly fix).

Ongoing engine surge problem when stepping on the gas.

Front brakes, calipers and rotors replaced.

The latest is a PO 335 code (crankshaft position sensor failure).

PO 300 random multiple cylinder misfire detected.

General Comments:

I have owned several Volvos in the past. I always had exceptional luck and always a very positive experience. As a result I didn't investigate the kind of experience others were having with this year and model.

I later read of numerous problems and have experienced many of them myself.

After purchase, I read of endless problems in numerous blogs. One in particular stands and should be heeded: Don't purchase!! "run away"

I have to say that after owning many, many used cars over the years, this car has been the absolute worst of all. The only other that was even close was a Saab 900 (complete engine failure).

Review Date: 19th April, 2015

20th Apr 2015, 13:38

Just buy a newer model S80 or other model Volvo. From 2006 they are all usually very reliable

2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 twin turbo from North America

Love it

The only problem I have had with this car, is my links (rear and front) have to be replaced often, but at $30 apiece, I don't mind.

My seat tore last week, but that only cost $100.00 to repair.

General Comments:

I love my Volvos, because they ride really nice and are very quick.

We own three Volvos with over 300,000kms, and all work great.

Review Date: 14th November, 2012

2000 Volvo S80 2.0 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Comfortable long distance car, that is reliable so far!!

Tail light went out (only aware of this due to warning system). Searched the problem online, and as recommended, fixed it by hitting the light housing!

General Comments:

Decided I wanted a car that had plenty of room for 4 or 5 people and good for long distance. Also wanted a car with good fuel economy. Unfortunately purchased this car before I read other horror stories.

This car is very comfortable! Seats are great as is the stereo.

Performance is adequate; it's not going to light your world on fire, but if you force it, it will get off the line fairly quickly. I was happy to trade performance for fuel economy, however I have been disappointed by how much fuel it uses (about 18L/100km), which seems very high to me! Not sure if this is maybe due to a fault, but I will ask about it at the next service.

Quality wise it seems pretty good; some interior materials seem slightly flimsy, but overall very good.

I haven't owned it long enough to comment on reliability.

Review Date: 20th September, 2010