2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 turbo from North America

Great car, very comfortable, expensive to repair

My head gasket blew at 200,000 Km, Volvo dealer wanted $3000 to fix plus parts. I fixed it at a standard garage for $1500 with parts.

Links changed at 220,000.

Engine light always on, I ignored it after a while.

Drivers and passenger side window gets stuck or slow to go up.

The gas fill door broke off.

General Comments:

I loved this car, it's got the most comfortable seats ever.

It's a little expensive to repair when things go wrong.

The handling is okay.

I love the power, lots of nice toys, the stereo system is amazing.

Review Date: 27th March, 2010

2000 Volvo S80 T6 from North America

The car is a lemon

Power locks failed.

Moon roof was stuck (open of course).

Transmission failed.

Signal switch inside steering column failed.

General Comments:

I've owned this car for 2 years and it's a financial disaster. Never ever ever buy this model and make. Besides having just about every problem under the sun go wrong, Volvo dealerships are absolutely no help in fixing the problems.

I paid $1000 bucks to get a switch fixed so my blinkers would work. They wanted another $700 to fix the power locks. I told them I would use my keys.

They want upwards of $4000 to fix the transmission, which I won't give them.

The moon roof got stuck open, so I wound up ripping apart the ceiling panel and tearing the motor out. Once unplugged, it worked again. (They quoted me another $1000 to fix it.)

Every electrical problem you can imagine keeps going wrong. It's an absolute lemon.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2009

7th Dec 2009, 10:55

I've had the same problems. Moonroof stuck open. Power locks don't work anymore. Both front windows do not work and have been fixed twice each (at $500 a pop).

The car drives great, but the electrical system is a NIGHTMARE.

2000 Volvo S80 T6 T6 turbo from North America

Great car for a teenage driver

General Comments:

I am 18 years old, and bought my 2000 Volvo S80 T6 in 2006 after my 16th birthday. I have not had a single problem with the car and it is a joy to drive!! Several other friends of mine also drive Volvo, and have not had a single problem.

This car is very comfortable. If you're looking to buy any Volvo - look no further!!

Review Date: 12th March, 2009

13th Mar 2009, 15:33

Good to hear some people haven't had too many problems with their cars. Make sure you look after it!

2000 Volvo S80 from North America

It is good enough to turn over to my 16 yr. old son!

Mostly front end issues with; rocker arms, stabilizer links, steering stops, control arm bushings.

The moon roof rattled but never leaked. Finally the service manager said we will fix it. It is not right.

General Comments:

I always felt safe in it, but I felt like I was driving in a rattle trap, especially when it was cold out.

Review Date: 1st March, 2009

2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 turbo from South Africa

Expensive to maintain!

Steering rack had to be replaced.

Coils were replaced.

The climate control had to be fixed as it became extremely noisy.

The engine mountings also replaced.

The struts have been replaced twice in 15000 kilometers.

Endless woes with bulb replacement.

General Comments:

This car is fantastic to drive, but there can be no justification for such high maintenance costs and faults. Like most, the S80 was a bargain second-hand.

I have spent R51000 (US$5000) fixing it, and this is before expected transmission and turbo failures happen. I live in fear now as the car has 175000 kilometers on it. I honestly would not recommend this car to anybody.

Review Date: 6th February, 2009

7th Feb 2009, 03:40

Hello. That is one of the problems reading into what people say too much. You have read this site and now decided that your turbo and gearbox will go, which is making you not enjoy the car. You must remember that most people only write on this site when they have something negative to say. There will be thousands of S80 T6 customers who have had nothing but joy out of their cars, but have not written in to say so.

My Volvo's all have massive mileage and give very few problems, but if I took every review as gospel, I would be scared to drive anything! Enjoy your car and only worry about it IF it breaks!

12th Feb 2009, 09:23

Thank you for the advice. I have to admit that in the last 15000 kilometers nothing (except a bulb) has gone wrong with the car. Perhaps there is hope after-all. She is a pleasure to drive and I hope to keep the car for another two years.

23rd Jun 2009, 09:14

I am the owner of a S80T6 Volvo. I purchased the motor vehicle second hand with 81 000km on the clock. By 100 000km I replaced the ball joint on the steering column, the sterning column was replaced at 125 000km at a cost of R26 000.00. I have found the car expensive to maintain and have 153 000km on the clock. Other than that, the ride itself is exceptional and it rides like a dream.

27th Oct 2009, 08:32

The car now has 195000KM on it. I was quoted R24000 for problems I didn't know existed when it went in for a service. I got a second quote from another garage, and all told I paid R6700. Not too bad. Still a pleasure to drive, and the turbos and transmission are intact!