2000 Volvo S80 from North America

Summary:

It is good enough to turn over to my 16 yr. old son!

Mostly front end issues with; rocker arms, stabilizer links, steering stops, control arm bushings.

The moon roof rattled but never leaked. Finally the service manager said we will fix it. It is not right.

General Comments:

I always felt safe in it, but I felt like I was driving in a rattle trap, especially when it was cold out.

Review Date: 1st March, 2009

2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.8 turbo from South Africa

Summary:

Expensive to maintain!

Steering rack had to be replaced.

Coils were replaced.

The climate control had to be fixed as it became extremely noisy.

The engine mountings also replaced.

The struts have been replaced twice in 15000 kilometers.

Endless woes with bulb replacement.

General Comments:

This car is fantastic to drive, but there can be no justification for such high maintenance costs and faults. Like most, the S80 was a bargain second-hand.

I have spent R51000 (US$5000) fixing it, and this is before expected transmission and turbo failures happen. I live in fear now as the car has 175000 kilometers on it. I honestly would not recommend this car to anybody.

Review Date: 6th February, 2009

7th Feb 2009, 03:40

Hello. That is one of the problems reading into what people say too much. You have read this site and now decided that your turbo and gearbox will go, which is making you not enjoy the car. You must remember that most people only write on this site when they have something negative to say. There will be thousands of S80 T6 customers who have had nothing but joy out of their cars, but have not written in to say so.

My Volvo's all have massive mileage and give very few problems, but if I took every review as gospel, I would be scared to drive anything! Enjoy your car and only worry about it IF it breaks!

12th Feb 2009, 09:23

Thank you for the advice. I have to admit that in the last 15000 kilometers nothing (except a bulb) has gone wrong with the car. Perhaps there is hope after-all. She is a pleasure to drive and I hope to keep the car for another two years.

23rd Jun 2009, 09:14

I am the owner of a S80T6 Volvo. I purchased the motor vehicle second hand with 81 000km on the clock. By 100 000km I replaced the ball joint on the steering column, the sterning column was replaced at 125 000km at a cost of R26 000.00. I have found the car expensive to maintain and have 153 000km on the clock. Other than that, the ride itself is exceptional and it rides like a dream.

27th Oct 2009, 08:32

The car now has 195000KM on it. I was quoted R24000 for problems I didn't know existed when it went in for a service. I got a second quote from another garage, and all told I paid R6700. Not too bad. Still a pleasure to drive, and the turbos and transmission are intact!

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 from North America

Summary:

Good car. Requires monthly advising

My Volvo has 108,000.

ABS module died (all check engine lamps light). Victor Rocha (find him on Google) fixed that for just $130.

Struts replaced. Bought front pair (brand new Volvo) in Internet just for $100. No more problems.

General Comments:

This car requires some advising. I recommend to advise this car every month (better if you have a mechanic, who can do that). If you have a mechanic, who can fix this car, just make sure that he is a professional in European cars, otherwise he can make a serious damage. Don't save $100 on a mechanic, if you're not sure about him, because you can loose $1000 on a professional repair.

Review Date: 4th July, 2008

2000 Volvo S80 T6 2.9 litre from North America

Summary:

Too expensive to maintain

I changed the throttle at 35,000 miles; this was real costly. I am not sure, but there was later a recall for the problem.

The drivers seat was a little worn off when I bought it, but now is in shreds. The leather on the other seats still looks nice.

The chrome stripe on the rear right door started ripping. I asked at a body shop and I was told that replacing it was not going to be cheap, so I gave up on it. I let the car was ripped it off all the way.

I did the front suspension at 70,000 miles; now the computer has malfunctioned with the lights intermittently blinking, no indicator and a few more issues.

The SRS Urgent maintenance is on and I had it towed to the dealer. Thankfully I have been saving up for this car's maintenance, as the maintenance cost is about $2,000 a year. I am now afraid to drive it across state lines for I am not sure it will make it back in one piece.

However, I still want to drive it for 5 to 6 more years while I save for a new vehicle; maybe a Toyota next time.

Castro.