2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quatro 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Nice ride

I had the brakes replaced, then my worn brake pad light came on. Does anyone know how to reset that without taking it to a dealer. I do not want to pay the $200 to have them reset the light. Other than this the passengers front window will not roll back up if it I roll it down. Has anyone seen this problem? If so is there a fix outside the dealer?

General Comments:

Overall seems like a good car.

Review Date: 5th March, 2007

21st Jan 2010, 14:27

I recently bought a used 2001 Audi A6 with the 2.8 engine, and the driver's door window was stuck in the OPEN position, and I had to drive the car 85 miles at about 50 degrees F.

The next day I studied the Bentley 2" thick service manual, easily removed the door panel, carefully disconnecting all electrical plugs (4 or 5) and spraying the window channels with spray graphite lube. When I reassembled it, the movement with the connectors must have corrected the problem and now it works perfectly. It has 134k miles on it.

During the safety inspection, the garage found a bad tie bar end and slight movement in the wheel bearing on the passenger side. He also said since the protective constant velocity joint on the outside of that corner is torn, that dirt may have entered and I should consider replacing the whole half axle with both CV joints complete. I went online and found all parts including the entire half axle with both joints for $78. (new) wheel bearing, tie-rod-end, and new wheel hub just in case... all the parts for $267. Free UPS freight, HIGHLY discounted from list price. Just go onto google and search for discount audi parts and look around. The parts are a bargain when you don't buy them from a dealer.

2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Audi A6 Quattro 2.8 is well built and wonderful!!!

I bought the car used, so I had to bring the vehicle up to speed. It needed a mirror knob, a cup holder, a window regulator, a camshaft position sensor and windshield washer reservoir. I decided to go ahead and replace the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, seals, serpentine belt and tensioner since the mechanic was in there anyway and it would not cost much more. I found a good mechanic at the local Damascus Citgo 301-253-3857, Sadik and I feel he has been efficient and honest and not nearly as costly as the dealer besides he is convenient.

I am having him look at the air compressor re: bearings and realize that may mean an a/c compressor and a/c drier, but it is not necessary right now. By having the overview though I can budget accordingly and limit my surprises. Let's face it, it does have 1/2 of it's car life lived at 6 yrs old and is bound to need a few new parts to help it run like the brand new ones.

General Comments:

I love the interior detail. I think the car is beautiful. I am very content with the 2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8. I don't need the faster car and I believe this one has good ratings. It needs the normal maintenance, but I don't think it requires any more than that. Yes, parts and labor can be expensive if you do not shop around, but if you take your time and plan for the maintenance items you can buy the parts on line at a reasonable cost.

It drives like a dream and makes me feel like a million dollars. I'd do it again :). This car is worth it. GO AUDI!!

Review Date: 9th November, 2006

2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T from North America

Summary:

Very powerful car, but expensive to maintain

Since I purchased the vehicle, I have had the cam seals replaced twice. However, my A6 is certified preowned and it only cost me $50.00.

My check engine light has come on twice and the dealer informed me that my exhaust converters are bad. Being a mechanic myself, I find it hard to accept that both converters have gone bad at only 84,000 miles.

My rotors have also warped twice. I'm in the process of installing after market cross drilled replacement rotors.

My sun roof leaked so badly that the dealer had to replace the entire headliner when the leak was finally repaired.

All of my door window regulators have been replaced at least once.

My front suspension is very noisy. I have had a tie rod end replaced and ball joints.

As others owners have said, $1300.00 seems to be the magic number for all repairs not covered in my certified warranty.

General Comments:

My A6 is super fast! Speed and power were the two main reasons I purchased the vehicle. Twin turbos and tiptronic transmission create a fun combination also.

But the cabin has a lot of noises. Almost like a creaking noise. The dealer told me that everything was "within specifications".

The transmission operates well, but sometimes feels disconnected when I let up off the gas. When I accelerate, there is a hard slam as the transmission reconnects. It was recently checked by the dealer who again told me they could find nothing wrong.

Review Date: 26th December, 2005

31st Oct 2010, 23:12

If you are feeling clunking when you are accelerating or letting off the gas, that is an indication of cv joints/axles going bad, as well as if you hear clicking all the time/worse on turns.

Hope that helps you out.