2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro 2.7L Twin turbo 30V V6 from North America

Summary:

Who can argue with 2 turbos and a roomy interior?

-Passenger window rolls up a bit slowly, and stuck down once, had to pull it up a little by hand until the motor took over and pushed it all the way up.

General Comments:

This is a wonderful car. I have the 2.7 twin turbo motor with 6 speed manual, it is a joy to drive. You can drive it as smoothly as any Rolls Royce around town, but punch it and let the turbos spool up (pretty instantaneous spool up) and it takes off like a rocket. It cruises at 100mph with total ease in 6th gear, and passing is no problem. The mileage is also very reasonable, at 21.4mpg average (and I drive fast and in town a lot).

The interior and stereo are great. The black leather seats are comfortable and roomy and there is lots of storage space. Both driver and passenger seats have memory as well, which is nice. The standard CD player and tape player are clear and offer plenty of adjustability (treble, bass, mid etc). The back seat is also very roomy and 5 adults can comfortably ride in the car.

The Xenon headlights and Quattro AWD make me feel really safe driving in even the wettest conditions. The A6 is very confidence inspiring. The ABS is also very good.

I only have 2 gripes with Audi in the design area. First of all, the shifter has sort of a long throw, not terrible, but shorter would be really nice. The other thing is that the car is a bit understated for how fast it is. They remedied this for 2002-2004 models with nice exposed tip dual exhausts (the 00-01 have dual exhaust, but the tips are hidden) and a nice facelift. I think with a light body kit, deck lip spoiler and some more thrust the car would look a lot musclier.

Overall a great car I recommend wholeheartedly, it's fast, fun and very luxurious all while being a very good deal used (mine cost just over 20k).

Review Date: 8th February, 2005

2nd Oct 2005, 22:21

Anyone own a 2000-01 A6 with over 100K miles on it? I obviously realize that these are expensive cars to maintain regardless of mileage, but I've been looking at a 2000 A6 2.7T with all the bells and whistles, navigation, you name it, that is in absolutely immaculate physical condition listed at $12,000...but it has almost 119K miles on the clock. Should I be wary of any major problems that tend to arise in the A6's near this level of mileage, or would it be a decent buy? Only 12K for a 6-speed 2.7T A6 is tempting, to say the least...

2001 Audi A6 2.7 t Quattro 2.7 turbo from North America

Summary:

Very bad experience with an Audi

Less than 24 hours after I bought this car my check engine light came on. I called the dealership I bought it at and was asked if I had "checked the engine".

This was just the first of many things to go wrong. I have owned this car for 7 months and it is in the shop more than out of it.

So far my turbos have gone out, window motors have gone out, my ball joints need to be replaced, the check engine light has came back on (but I was told that it had to come on again before they could replace the part that caused it to come on).

My car is now back at the dealership after it failed to start leaving my husband stranded nearly a hour and a half away.

This is the second time this has happened. The last time it had to be towed in for this problem I was told that it was a "brain fart" and they have never seen it happen before.

General Comments:

I do have to admit that I love the way this car handles and all the options it comes with.

However I am very sick of it always being in the shop.

I have complained to Audi and never received a response. A call would at least be nice.

I will never buy an Audi again. The mechanical problems far outweigh the luxury options that I like so much.

For what I payed for this car I never would have believed that their customer service would be this bad.

Review Date: 25th January, 2005

8th Mar 2005, 07:58

In reading your review, it's like you lived my life. Every problem you referenced, I experienced, including Audi's lack of caring. The car handles like a dream, but overall owning this car was still a nightmare.

Dave

Calgary, Canada.

5th Jun 2005, 17:26

I have the 2000 A6 2.7T. I too was in the dang stealership week after week after week. The problem isn't so much your car, as it is your mechanic. Get an audi-specializing, performance, NON-DEALERSHIP mechanic and your problems will likely go away. Then you, like me, can resume getting goose-bumps every time you punch it in your 2.7T. My car was in the shop literally once a month, for a few days at a time. Now it's problem free (since I found a *real* mechanic) and I am still completely and totally hooked!!!