I bought my vehicle in November 2001, the first two weeks I had the car the fuel gauge malfunctioned. This malfunction has occurred for the 8th time just recently. I keep taking the vehicle in to have it seen to and they keep replacing the sensors.
The problem though is not just that the car is forever going in for this problem, but my dealership was not honest about the time the vehicle had gone in for repair. The short version goes like this.
After the sixth fault with the fuel gauge and not getting anything in writing from the dealership. I insisted that they give me the proper paperwork, so that I had a correct repair record for the vehicle. This they would not give me. So I eventually got ahold of BMWSA, who contacted the dealership. They then got a reply from the dealership stating that the car had been in only 3 times for this problem. This angered me and I phoned the dealerhsip to find out what was going on, as calling a customer a liar is not a very nice thing for them to do.
After speaking to them and getting nowhere, I phoned BMWSA again and insisted someone do something about this. They decided to send someone down to my dealership to find out the full story. The representative arrived at the dealership, and I went into the meeting, with him and the workshop manager. In the meeting the manager still continued to deny the vehicle had been in. Going so far as to bring one of the people who handle the vehicles at the front to come in, who verified the workshop managers claim that I had not been there, even looking me in the eyes and stating that he had not seen me. The rep from BMWSA, who was there supposedly to help the customer, turned to me and explained that the workshop manager had been a friend of his for years, and that he doubted he would lie. In other words I was the one looking to be dishonest.
I was about to take it further, when the day after the meeting I received a fax from my dealerhip stating the car had been in and that they had alway's believed me, amazing words after the previous day's meeting. I had by now gotten all the people who had been with me to make statements to that effect, but I was glad that I had gotten the repair record in whatever shape or form. Not wanting to deal with the people at me dealerhip anymore, I decided to leave it at that.
Unfortunately for me my concerns over this meeting were met with no astonishment, in fact the person I dealt with found it rather amusing. In other words when I phoned to complain to the head office, I was in reality complaining directly into the dealership's ear, as they all seem to stick together.
I have had the fault now reappear and all information I have tried to get from BMWSA has been met with no return phone calls. I have been assured more times than I can even mention that my case was being looked into. These people can only be considered inept at there jobs, and I cannot fathom how they managed to get their positions at BMW.
Special mention should go to a particular lady who after numerous phone calls requesting information and faxes, has almost never returned my phone calls, even going on holiday and handing my case over to the same people who took no interest the last time!
BMW South Africa are the worst people I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with, and I hope they look into this and get people who are a bit more professional, and do not disrespect their customers by treating them this way.
I have left other people out in this e-mail, but I will be sending a full report to Germany, for what good it will do.
My case is now supposedly in the hands of a gentleman second to the head of the BMWSA call centre. Who also has yet to get back to me! So I will wait with crossed fingers for any information.
I would also like to mention that, BMW has told me the reason for the malfunction in the fuel sensor is the high sulphur in the local fuel. I have attempted to look into this and people either confirm or deny it. If anyone has any information concerning this, please would you post it.