2001 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 12 of 14

2001 BMW 3 Series 330 Ci Sport 3.0 from UK and Ireland

Previous carMercedes-Benz C-Class

Summary:

The ultimate every day performance car

Nothing so far, but it is early days.

Having had various BMW models in the past, I don't think that anything will break just yet.

General Comments:

This car beats the current C class Mercedes hands down!

I know this because I have just disposed of my 2002 C320 because the build quality was dreadful.

This car feels so solid, and the performance and handling are quite superb.

Even though it has covered a high mileage for its age, it looks and feels like a new car, albeit with a few minor stone chips on the front bumper.

I have never worried about buying a BMW with a few more miles on it, because they handle it extremely well and as long as they have a documented service history, high mileage should not be considered an issue provided that the purchase price reflects this.

I was really hoping that the current Mercedes C Class would have turned me into a Mercedes fan, but here I am a year later, back with BMW... it is a far better made car, the trim quality is far superior, it drives better, is faster, (and yes, I have tried the C32, fast, but still the same awful build quality), So its back to BMW for me!!

I know its early days with this particular car, but I have to say that I don't think I will be selling this one in a years time. I feel that we will have a long and pleasant relationship.

Review Date: 15th April, 2003

2001 BMW 3 Series 318i Executive 1.9 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 1.9 litre Semi-Automatic

Summary:

Serious reliability and quality problem.

The sunroof failed on the first day I owned the vehicle. The car had to be given back for 1 day for repair.

The spare keys were the wrong keys for the vehicle. It took the dealer 6 weeks to order a new set.

The left passenger automatic window failed. The right driver's window failed about 8 months later.

The air conditioning fan would turn on automatically causing the battery to fail. The dealer replaced the fan.

The battery was also replaced.

The engine fan would not stop once the car turned off causing the battery to fail. The dealer replaced the fan.

The dealer found a failed shock absorber which required replacing.

General Comments:

The dealer was supportive. Each repair however required me to wait for a booking for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Review Date: 10th December, 2002

2001 BMW 3 Series 316 Ti 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

A very good car and an excellent intro to owning a BMW

So far the only problem was a squeaky fan on setting two of four. It was a big job labourwise to fix, but was done promptly and under warranty without any problems.

General Comments:

What a wonderful little car! A joy to drive. Not massively quick, but is nippy. The car looks good, it handles superbly and is very quiet.

Good build quality although downsides are that it didn't come with air-con or electrically heated door mirrors as standard.

BMW dealers are very good.

Review Date: 10th December, 2002

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci 3.0 24v petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.0 24v petrol Manual
Most recent distance32000 miles
Previous carHonda Prelude

Summary:

Superb all rounder, but lacks something

Battery failed at 6 months old.

General Comments:

This car does everything well. It performs superbly, makes a great noise, looks good, handles well and is reliable. It also has first rate build quality.

For some reason, it just leaves me a little cold. It's almost too perfect. Although the performance is superb, there is little sensation of acceleration or speed, and the chassis is so competent that it simply deals with it. It is the textbook definition of "a good car". What it most certainly isn't, despite the lovely engine and superb performance, is an exciting car. Or an exclusive one - these cars are as common as Fords in the UK these days.

Would I buy another? Not sure. It's a hard car to fault, and as I said before, it does everything well. But it lacks something vital - character. I respect it a lot, but I just don't love it. I suspect it will be hard to find something as capable for the money though.

Review Date: 20th October, 2002

27th Oct 2002, 13:20

Buy an E36.

Like you say the E46 3 series (98-Present) is as common as muck. I guess so is the old E36 3 series (91-98).

The e36 is however a drivers car, the E46 is not.

I've had a few e46 318i's as courtesy cars. After an hour or so I *really* want my trusty 1993 325i coupe back :-)

Its old, its done 110k, but I love it and wouldn't swap it for your 330ci for anything other than the obvious financial gain.

Sorry, if anybody from BMW is reading this. Pull your socks up guys! Your fast turning into another run of the mill boring car 'does its job' company.

It's a real real shame :- (

24th Feb 2003, 14:35

The new BMW's have lost the soul the previous models had and that's a shame the E36 M3 Evolution is probably the best all round Sports saloon ever.