2000 Cadillac DeVille Base model 4.6L V8 from North America

Summary:

Basic transportation and a money pit

Traction control light when purchased.

Check engine light on - codes for intermittent misfire cylinder 1, O2 sensors, air/fuel mix error when evaluated by AutoZone after purchase.

ABS light on intermittently.

Driver's side inside door handle doesn't work.

Rear passenger tire bad (dry rotted), replaced after purchase.

Low coolant light on after purchase - topped off coolant at oil change around 202,000 miles at local shop.

General Comments:

My wife and I bought this car for 1600 dollars (US). Always wanted to own a Cadillac. I have owned 20+ cars in the 20 years I have been driving. Always GM, Ford or Dodge cars. With the one Nissan I had briefly being the exception.

These Cadillac Devilles have their issues, and since buying this one, I have researched all the headaches with these cars. Surprisingly this one has lasted to over 200,000 miles. The front brake pads just started grinding right before I come to a complete stop. Money pit of a car... the GM quality shining thru I am afraid. Dodge and Ford are above the quality of this junk.

I can say now I have owned a Cadillac, but I won't be buying another Northstar powered one. These cars are lemons. I cross my fingers the car holds up til my wife and I can get into a better car.

Review Date: 11th June, 2014

11th Jun 2014, 12:19

A 14 year old car with over 200K miles on it for $1600.

Really, what were you expecting?

11th Jun 2014, 13:59

"These cars are lemons."

No, they aren't. You bought a half run into the ground junkbox.

11th Jun 2014, 17:26

LOL, I know, right? He was expecting a "Miracle-Whip"... :)

11th Jun 2014, 22:00

Like others said, if you want to buy a car that will be reliable, it is not a good idea to buy one with over 200,000 miles and 14 years worth of wear. These cars do have their problems, and they aren't examples of GM quality at its best, even though they should be, since it was the flagship of their flagship line.

If you wanted a good idea of Cadillac quality, you probably should have bought one that was 5 years or newer with under 75,000 miles. Don't knock the entire brand just because you can't afford to do so.

11th Jun 2014, 22:59

Wow! So a fourteen year-old $1,600 car with 200,000 miles on it didn't have that elusive lifetime warranty? That does not make it a lemon. It makes it used up.

12th Jun 2014, 17:02

A well-built car shouldn't be having the problems he's talking about, regardless of age. I don't think the previous owner took very good care of this truck or did routine maintenance. Maybe it was taken off road a few times and roughed up.

13th Jun 2014, 23:25

Really can't expect much with ANY car with over 200K. I have a gently used 02 Deville with 72K, and it drives and looks like new. Probably the best car I've ever owned, bought when 2 years old.

The ridiculous trade in values I've encountered aren't much more than the $1600 you paid for your car. I'll try to keep mine until it reaches 200K, but I probably won't live long enough to reach that mileage.

Good luck with your Cadillac.

14th Nov 2014, 22:48

200,000 miles is nothing if it's a reliable car to begin with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the following cars with 200,000 miles:

1990-1999 Nissan Maxima.

Any Toyota Avalon.

Any Lexus LS.

Cadillacs, especially ones with Northstar engines, are absolute money pits.

15th Nov 2014, 16:19

You forgot Lincoln Town Cars.

2000 Cadillac DeVille DHS NorthStar from North America

Summary:

It's a love-hate relationship

The car's interior is very small. A large car should have more leg room for a larger body. My husband is 6'5", and he actually looks like he is folded up around the steering wheel. His leg hits the center console, and he can't move it because of the steering wheel. He hates the car, and refuses to drive it because it is so uncomfortable.

Radiator.

Tie rods.

Boots. Installed by the dealership. Never lubed. I found out 8 months later when the tires were changed. They were completely dry and already wearing out.

Rotors.

Brakes... many, many, many brakes.

Service stability light is always on and off.

Lots and lots and lots of oil.

Angle of the front windshield is a magnet for rock chips and breaks. On its second windshield, but need a third.

Dash edges rolling... the car originated in South Dakota, was driven there 6 years with one side rolled, and then in California where the other side rolled.

Key fob frequently locks and then quickly unlocks the car when you hit lock.

Check oil light has been on for a couple years. We had it checked at the dealership, and they couldn't find anything, so we left it alone. Oil magically disappears at least 1.5 quarts every 3000. This sometimes happens immediately after a change.

Originally all the air conditioning would come through only the driver's side. I put a pen cap into one of the vents in the middle of the car to hold it open, and air would come out there, and not on the driver's side any more. Good for passengers, not so great for the driver. Oh well. Last summer the air conditioning compressor went out. Heat still worked until this weekend Now no air flow at all. Bad for California weather.

Driver's window regulator went out. Lived with it for several months, then got it fixed. Well over $400. Immediately the passenger side broke. We struggled with it for a while, and then the rear passenger side broke. Another $1000+. We were told the rear regulator costs more than the front.

Rear seat heaters never worked. Then the front passenger and then the driver's side went out.

Vibrating passenger seat quit a few years ago. Now the driver's side quit.

The car cuts out frequently after driving. Sometimes while driving and sometimes at a stop light. Annoying! This has been happening for years. You have to take it out of gear, turn the key off... on and back in gear... embarrassing and very dangerous when driving down the road.

Now, we have a new problem. Felt a vibration in the gas pedal, and told my hubby that was weird... and instantly the SES light was flashing and the car was cutting out. I pulled over and checked the fluids, and everything was topped up and nothing low. Checked the tranny fluid; all clean and OK. Chugging type feel and sound up to 60, and then it instantly smooths out and the SES light goes from flashing to solid. Slow down and it goes back to chugging and flashing. This car has never been overheated that we know of, and we are the third owners.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. As for someone saying we drive our car incorrectly... my husband is a senior citizen and I am disabled.

Never leaks any fluids... solid there.

The car looks gorgeous. Thank God we have another vehicle... a FORD.

General Comments:

The car is pretty, the paint has held up nicely and feels really solid. Very comfortable and smooth ride for me at 5'8".

Review Date: 5th March, 2012