1997 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews - Page 3 of 9

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

At 137K still screaming strong!

This is my 2nd update on this webpage for this car. I left off at 105K, it now has 137K on the engine. Still no tune up yet. Only problem is that it is sometimes slow to start when warm, but runs strong and powerfull since the day I purchased it. Since my last update I have replaced the fuel pump ($800) Owners should change the fuel filter often, it may help to make the pump last longer. Change the oil at 3K, turn on the A/C when temp gets half way up the gauge to activate 2nd fan system.

General Comments:

I still drive it 100 miles a day and it still kicks my butt when I stand on it! I've owned it 4 1/2 years and may never sell it when it's time to buy something new. I'll park it and maybe rebuild it with high end mods. Rumors are out that we may see the Camaro again, but not till 07 or 08.

Review Date: 14th December, 2005

1997 Chevrolet Camaro z28 30th anniversary model 5.7 LT1 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 5.7 LT1 Manual
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Old School Muscle

Turn signal was out the day I picked the car up from the previous owner (also had an empty gas tank, thank you very much).

Numerous creaks, rattles, squeaks, thuds, and other noises. No wind noise from the t-tops though, thankfully.

Pulls to the right.

The clutch and rear-end worry me, as does the Optispark.

The car's gas tank doesn't take anything less than 20$ no matter what.

General Comments:

Seats are sub-par, and the interior has a very cheap feel to it. Basic GM quality.

The turn signal stalk takes both hands to activate.

Stock radio and speakers are OK if you only listen to AM newscasts, otherwise they are meant to be tossed.

T-tops are prone to leaking, whistling, and just generally not working well.

ENGINE. I write this in capital letters Because it is the sole reason anyone buys this car. I didn't buy this car for comfort, gas mileage, or interior amenities. I bought it to hit the gas and GO - and GO it does. It has 6 gears, and a tall enough rear end to get it well over 100mph. This car is a bow-racer's dream, a redneck's Ferrari. It is the ultimate bang for the buck.

Review Date: 24th October, 2005

2nd Jan 2009, 22:53

I have a 97 Z28. It is the 30th year, but not the anniversary edition.

I've had the car 9 years, and it just rolled through 100,000 miles.

I love this car. Th seats are very comfy. Rides great, runs great. No leaks, no water in the interior, the stock radio is much better than stated above although I have replaced mine, there is some cabin noise though I must admit. The interior is very nice and doesn't feel cheap, everything is real easy to reach and feels comfortable.

This is a SPORTS car, don't down talk it, if you want a Toyota Camry, buy one. Anybody that likes a sports car will like the way this cars drives, handles, sits, and whatever else you can think of to like in a SPORTS car.

Although, I would recommend going up to at least the next year, since in 98 they changed to the LS1 engine and that has about 40 more hp.

One more note, take care of the car and it will remain nice. Mine is near mint with no problems. Keep it nice, maintain it right and it will stay right.

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 5.7 V8 Manual
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous carMazda Protege

Summary:

By far the best bang for your buck

The motors for the power windows are fragile and have broken once. I see them breaking again in the near future. General Motor's differentials are made of glass. Mine was broken one year after I bought it. The leather is cheap and wears down easily.

General Comments:

There is a lot of work that goes into owning a muscle car. That's why the typical muscle car owner is usually pictured working on their car. I absolutely love this car.

It is a 30th anniversary Z28 and it was my dream car as a kid. Now that I have it, I'm happy as can be.

Like I said, the differential broke in 2004, but it was a great excuse for me to get 4.10 gears. I highly recommend doing this to your car. It's only 1,000 bucks and it adds some serious pull.

It rattles, it squeaks, it's not Mercedes, but I didn't buy it to be a smooth, cab forward ride. I bought it to go fast and do burnouts. Mine was only 11 grand when I bought it in 2003 with 32,000 miles. That's a fantastic deal for a car that looks great and drives like a car should. I've taken this car all the way up to 155mph.

If you want one, buy one, or just wait until 2007 when the new one comes out and puts us all to shame.

Review Date: 12th April, 2005

26th Jul 2005, 23:11

I was just wandering if anybody knew why the 96 was the only year Z to take regular gasoline, because all the other years up to and thru 97 all used the premium?

4th Oct 2005, 16:05

I have a 96 Z28 and it takes the minimum 91 octane, the owners manual even says that, so not too sure what you are talking about. Our "regular" gasoline is 87 octane, I have never put that low of octane in the car, its either 91 or above. Just my 2 cents worth.