1997 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews - Page 7 of 9

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 5.7L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7L Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

This car is seriously fast

Nothing at all really. It's a nice reliable car.

General Comments:

This car is great. It has tremendous power and great handling. I think it's a good buy for the price, it has a lot of bang for the buck.

Review Date: 28th December, 2002

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - LT1 LT1 - 5.7 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission LT1 - 5.7 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

My opinion is: Get Your Hands On One!

#1 In the first year old (1998) & under warranty, the water pump started leaking. - 8,000 miles.

#2 Also the same year I replaced the Power Window D.S. and covered under warranty. - 20,500 miles.

#3 after 2 1/2 year old the Passenger Power Window went out. - 53,000 miles

#4 And also after 3 1/2 years. the Drivers Side window went out again. - 89,000 miles.

#5. My LT1 has over {{108,500 miles}} on it now and I just had the tune-up done this 11/2002.

General Comments:

NOTE:

I'm at 108,500 miles now, and this car still doesn't have any problems. I'm only on my second set of tires which I put Daton Daytona. I "wish" they would bring back the "camaro" line. I've owned Fords in the past and I have (4) Chevrolet vehicles now. The LT1 is even and still faster then my 1985 Corvette, which has only 70,000 miles on it. I have a 1991 Lumia APV and a 1983 Z28 Camaro and I can say one thing about Chevrolet's and that's is...

GOooooo...Chevy... :p

Review Date: 11th November, 2002

1997 Chevrolet Camaro SS 5.7 LT1 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7 LT1 Manual
Previous carPontiac Firebird

Summary:

An awesome and fast daily driver!

They just replaced the clutch when I bought the car, but the stock disc didn't last too long, especially with me not being excellent on a standard at first. I put a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in, and replaced the rear transmission seal. When I replaced that seal it didn't take a good seal and all the fluid leaked out in about a day and a half and blew the transmission, so I am now replacing that. I would recommend getting a stock seal from the dealer if the original seal is going bad. Other than that I have had no problems besides a minor oil leak, which I am almost positive is the common stock LT1 intake manifold not taking a good factory seal, which is easily fixed. This car also has over 100k miles.

General Comments:

The car is black with graphite leather interior, t-tops, Borg Warner 6 speed, functional ram air, 12 disc cd changer, power everything. I love the power of the car! It has outran base Z28 and TA's with the LS1 motor, yet has the heavy duty cast iron block. It also handles very well with the bigger sway bars and suspension upgrade done by SLP.

Review Date: 9th September, 2002

2nd Oct 2003, 03:26

You beat the drivers in the LS1s, there are no differences between the LS1s in the F-bodys and the Corvettes, they are all more than enough of a match for any LT1 powered car.

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 5.7L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7L Automatic
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

It's alright..

Alternator blew.

Passenger side window came off the track.

Bad gas mileage now.

General Comments:

I really like my car, however I don't love it. The speed is great, especially since I have put a lot of wrench work in it. Dual exhaust and headers, K&N air filter, shift kit, power chip.

I can't seem to get much useable traction off the line, I slam the pedal down and all I hear is my tires being smoked off. The shift kit makes the car a little scary to drive on old winding gravel roads.

As far as acceleration goes, my old Regal could beat it. It was a machine with a custom turbo charged 5.0 HO motor in it. The trunk on this car isn't exactly good with lots of bass.

Review Date: 25th February, 2002

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 30th Anniversary from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission Don't Know

Summary:

A beautiful, powerful, high-performance machine!

I cannot recall anything major going wrong mechanically (knock on wood).

I suppose my biggest peeve can't actually be considered major, because it is purely cosmetic. The trim package around the bottom of the vehicle continually comes loose from the body of the vehicle, which detracts from the aesthetics.

Also, the front end trim - which I had replaced once under warranty - continually bottoms out leaving an ugly scrape right at the 'nose' of the vehicle. The new trim was redesigned (I guess they had to replace a lot of them), but even the new one hits the pavement a lot. Oh well. What do you expect? You want a sleek sporty look... you pay the price.

Finally, my leather interior is becoming worn - especially the driver's seat (again aesthetics).

General Comments:

I've heard some complaints from fellow Camaro owners about T-roof leaks, but thus far I've had no problems.

In fact, the only problem that I have with water penetration is the rear hatch. I can't park facing down on a hill when it's raining. There are channels that were designed to allow the water to run off, but they only work if gravity allows them to. If the car is facing downhill, the water in the channels doesn't run off, it spills over the side... into the vehicle. I suppose I should have listed this in the faults above, but the solution is easy - just don't park facing downhill!

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the vehicle. Even five years down the road, it still turns heads! I consider this an early sign that this vehicle is destined to be a classic - especially since the Camaro is being discontinued.

Review Date: 24th January, 2002

27th Jan 2002, 15:38

I agree, The 97' Anniversary Edition was one of the sweetest looking Camaros ever made. I think it looks much better than the new '02 edition. I had the chance to buy a hard top version back in 97... still kicking myself for not buying it.

10th May 2002, 13:09

Haahaa! I picked up a white hard-top with tan leather, cd and a 5-speed that's FLAWLESS! Paid $6,700 cash the day after it was traded in w/64,000 miles. And yes it turns heads... everyone wants to race. As for the front spoiler, you just have to be aware that it's there and not go where it will bottom out. Mine has a small scratch that my wife put there, but it's hard to see. Love the car overall!