1997 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews - Page 9 of 9

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 5.7L V8 Manual
Distance when acquired22000 miles
Previous carPontiac Grand Am GT (1995)

Summary:

Impractical but fun

Air pump injector had to be replaced because of a recall.

Mass air flow sensor needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

Great car! I have the 30th anniversary edition with the Hugger Orange stripes. It's very fast, & looks & drives great. It can get away from you if you're not careful.

It is a little impractical, and it guzzles premium fuel, but other than that, I have no complaints.

Review Date: 4th January, 2001

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 liter V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 5.7 liter V8

Bought the car new and from the second day I began having problems. Interior trim pieces kept breaking or falling off, driver's seat back broke after 3 months, driver's power window motor broke, constant shimmy in the front wheels even after repeated alignments, and 2 replacement tires, windshield leaked during heavy rains, and God only knows how many problems I had with the engine. For some reason after the first month it would die for no reason, the radiator blew, and after the third oil change it developed a small leak. I may be an American, but this car was CRAP. Granted I could take it to the dealer (two occasions TOWED) and it would be fixed, but still...the car was NEW. There is NO excuse for buying a car for that much money and having it fall apart that quickly. So much for buying American. Never again. After ownership for 8 months I sold it for a 1990 Acura Legend that has been a dream come true sans a few minor problems that have been fixed. I will admit, the Z28 had a S@#$load of get up and go...when it could, but most of the time a Yugo would beat it.

General Comments:

Maybe mine was a lemon (ironic that the second American car I have purchased out of 2 was less reliable than the junk I had first).

Review Date: 21st March, 1999

29th Apr 2001, 04:27

Wow... I know Chevy makes their cars as cheap as they can, but I guess on yours they pulled out all the stops. It almost sound like the one you had was cursed or something.. All of the Chevys I have had were cheap, granted, but not THAT cheap! I think you just got a bad one. A professionally made car isn't commonly that bad.