1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 from North America

Summary:

A car not worth buying

My water pump was leaking and caused the distributor to malfunction. Both parts were replaced at 45,000 miles. Wiper motor assembly malfunctioned. I had the entire assembly replaced at 45,000 miles. Fuel pump sending and receiving unit failed at 38,000 miles. The unit was replaced. The clutch assembly was replaced due to slipping at 32,000 Miles.

General Comments:

This car has great performance.

However the car has had serious problems and after having all of the ignition parts replaced, it still shuts off while going down the road and will not restart.

This car has been in the garage to be fixed more times then any other car I have ever owned!

I have been told by other camaro owners that they have had the same problem with the water pump leaking that caused the distributor unit to malfunction.

If you plan on buying a 97 camaro Z28, be ready to have problems.

Review Date: 26th December, 2003

25th Jul 2004, 17:32

I'm a dealer in St Louis Missouri. I have owned probably 75 1996-2002 Z-28's All joking aside... The only problem I've had is a power window motor in the door replaced. I feel as though you will never buy any car that won't cost a few dollars in repairs regardless. The Z-28 is a whole lot of BANG for the buck. I'm not one to write in on comment boards, but the views you have are night and day from mine. It is possible you just got a lemon... all makes and models a few are bound to make it past quality control. Thank You, David Peters.

16th Sep 2004, 17:05

I agree with the dealer. I have also only had to replace the window motor, at 105000 miles.

27th Mar 2005, 07:22

I also own a 97 z-28 and have had minimal problems with it. All cars will need some sort of repair as the years go by. I happen to love my camaro. I paid a lot less money than I would have for a vette and it performs superbly. It starts and and runs great every time I get in and it has never left me stranded. I would recommend the purchase of the fourth generation camaro to anyone looking for a great performing car on a budget.

12th Apr 2005, 22:42

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I have a 30th anniversary and my window motors break on a daily basis, haha. The stock differential is made of glass, but it was a good excuse to get 410s. The car is a great car. IT REQUIRES TLC aka maintenance.

1997 Chevrolet Camaro LT1 5.7 from North America

Summary:

I love my car!

No major complaints so far.

General Comments:

I Love this car. It has been my dream car since I can remember. 5.7 liter, manual 6-speed transmission, T-tops, with a beautiful white paint finish. It's fast... but not fast enough. It turns heads everywhere I go. Chicks flock!! A perfect car to cruise in during the fall season.

Review Date: 4th December, 2003

24th Jan 2004, 21:40

I will take delivery of a 96 Z28 the middle of next week. I can barely contain my excitement. Having owned a Porsche 944 in the past, I was ready to step up to some real horsepower. Just pray the Camaro is not in the shop as often as the Porsche was.

1997 Chevrolet Camaro RS 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

I would buy another one tomorrow if I could

Engine.

General Comments:

The one and only problem that I ever had with this car was the engine. When I purchased the vehicle everything sounded fine, but I must have been blinded by excitement because in less than 24 hours I realized that the motor was making a knocking sound. I went back and resigned for the extended warranty and then I turned the car over to them. They didn't mess around getting it fixed. They gave me a rental and placed a new engine in the car. After that, I replaced the plugs and wires once, and the check engine light came on one time.

Over all, this car was my pride and joy. I loved her very much. She was fun, fast, and very pretty. I would buy another one in heart beat and I do suggest this car to anyone looking to buy.

Review Date: 16th November, 2003