1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Chevy never lets me down

I do all my own work, don't trust others with my pride and joy.

Alternator was replaced after the bearing went out in it.

The water pump was leaking and replaced.

The engine overheated, new thermostat was put in.

The clutch was going out when I bought it, so drove it until it had to be redone.

New tires, sway bar links, and lower ball joints were put in last week.

The rear brakes and parking brake cables were replaced at the same time.

I welded the parking brake handle back together after it broke in the console.

The sunroof leaks a little, but that is no big deal.

The plastic is cracked on the console.

The doors are starting to rust, but that is because the MN winters and salt.

General Comments:

I love my car very much. It is my best friend and never lets me down.

I knew the guy I bought it from, and told him that if he ever sold it I wanted it. I bought it for $400. It is the best car I have ever had, and for the best price.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2008

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2.2 Litre throttle body inj. from North America

Summary:

The World's First True Sports Sedan!

Brakes, hoses, usual wear items.

General Comments:

My prior car was a 69 Camaro RS and as I started a family I decided to opt for a sporty four door. This was tough to find until I discovered the Cavalier RS (Rally Sport). This has been a great car in terms of performance and practicality. The completely stock 2.2 litre engine is quite powerful and I recently clocked the standing start quarter mile @ 14.1 seconds @ 104 miles per hour. Where it really shines is in cornering with its advanced MacPherson strut suspension. I realize there are faster cars out there, but not in this price range!

Leave it to Chevy to market a practical yet sporty four door that blows the doors off the competition!

Review Date: 19th August, 2006

21st Aug 2006, 08:03

A lot of small economy compact cars have the MacPherson setup. Its nothing advanced.

30th Aug 2006, 14:21

The prior comment is true, many cars had Mac Pherson strut suspension, however, GM had the most exacting specifications and tuned the struts just right, which helped make the Cavalier one of the best handling sports car of the decade!

2nd Oct 2006, 14:23

I also own a Cavalier RS and I must say it handles and drives like an exotic European Sports Car! Consequently, Cavalier's from the early 90's and earlier are becoming quite collectible.

21st Jan 2007, 22:08

Um, I'm sorry, but no matter how fast you think it is, a 95hp 4-cyl dead stock with a 3-speed auto can't do a 14.1 in the 1/4, maybe it could do that in the 1/8th mile if you were lucky. This is actually one of the slowest cars I've ever driven, and I think many owners can agree with me. You're either joking or the drag strip where you ran it was messing with you.

18th Nov 2009, 22:32

For one an 1/8 mile is shorter than a 1/4 mile, and yes it will. I have a 5 speed Cavy and it will do that in that amount of time, and yes mine has the 2.2 liter in it too.

19th Nov 2009, 14:35

I am sorry but I must say that the Cavalier in any shape or form is certainly NOT a "sports car", nor is it even remotely "The World's First True Sports Sedan!". It is an economy car - nothing more.

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Base 2.2 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Awesome little rocket sled

-When I first got the car, I had to do a complete brake job. There were no pads left on the front, and the back were weak.

-Painted the car and made it look nice.

-In 2003, I had to do the head gasket, followed by the water pump and lastly the heater core all in a period of about a month.

-Put front pads on the car in 2004 after moving and put 5000km on the car

-Put both transmission cooler lines on the car. I neglected to do this for about 3 months, and almost 2 years later I still have a transmission!!

-Put new front bumper (skin and re-bar) from junk yard as well as a not so leaky sunroof and radio. It was all $20 each!

-Put two used struts on the car, and didn't have it aligned (stupid move) The car ate 2 new tires over one winter and about 10000km. The new alignment and tires are like a dream come true

-Upgraded to Sony Xplod 52X4 cd player, 4-way 400watt 6x9's, and 120watt 4 1/2's.

General Comments:

I love my car. It looks bad, but I have new exhaust, brakes, tires on it and it runs good. It has never ever let me down. Even now I am not afraid to take it 200 or 300 km up the highway and think about being worried. I am now getting an 89 z24. Is it still considered an upgrade if you downgrade the year?! Oh well!

Review Date: 14th September, 2005