1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews - Page 6 of 8

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L OHV from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.2L OHV Manual
Previous carMercury Lynx

Summary:

A great car for anyone that doesn't want to spend a fortune maintaining; but a great learning car

There haven't been hardly any problems that are out of the ordinary for this car, or any other car. I had to replace the heat sensor, which was a 300 dollar part about a year after I owned it. Other than that I have replaced the Parking brake cable, Starter, and Fuel Injector; all of these are small expenditures. I also just recently had to replace the brakes in the front, after almost 3 full years of running.

General Comments:

This car is a great car. Chevrolet really did a great job when it came to the Cavalier. They have always been known for quality wich is why I chose them, and they continue that Quality standard even today. I regularly drive newer and used Chevrolet's from dealer to auction or manufacturer to dealer.

Review Date: 13th September, 2002

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 3.1 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.1 V6 Automatic
Previous carchevrolet cavalier

Summary:

I would recommend a Cavalier z24 (preferably 91 - 94) to anyone who wants a fast ready to go car!

The alternator died at about 165000km.

The starting motor died at about 170000km.

Catalytic converter was replaced.

Cylinder head split 2 weeks ago (now fixed)

EGR valve was replaced.

General Comments:

Overall, I have loved owning this car. It still looks excellent and is running excellent. It has a performance muffler with a 4" tip, a K&N filter, and the interior has been trimmed with yellow, including floor mats, seat covers, and plastic trim painted. It has a reasonably big stereo which includes 2 12" subs, a 350W amp, and CD player.

Review Date: 15th April, 2002

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 1.8 litre 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.8 litre 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Chevrolet's staple is a joke

Brakes went out at 65,000 miles.

Entire cooling system (ie. vent, A/C, heat, defrost) gone by 61,000 miles.

The trunk is not water proof.

Dashboard was warped beyond repair when I bought it.

Electrical system is not reliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Engine overheats while sitting at traffic lights.

Transmission constantly sounds like it is revving too high.

Windshield wipers work sometimes and do not work others.

General Comments:

Paid $3000 for it. After having owned a 1994 Cavalier from the same dealer, I will never buy an American car again. More specifically, I'll never consider a Chevy again. I've put $2200 in repairs into it and I can't recommend it to anyone. Chevrolet's are terrible cars!

Review Date: 24th September, 2001

24th Sep 2001, 20:24

Next time buy a Chevrolet Metro, that's one car that won't let you down.

27th Apr 2004, 08:28

I will be honest: I own a 1991 Cavalier, VL trim, that was not in good shape a few months ago. It has 143,000 miles currently, but nothing has gone out of the ordinary with this car. It has some minor body damage, but some body compounds have alleviated the pain. Look at it this way: there are thousands of these cars still running all over the place.

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 3.1 litre V6 from North America

First year of ownership1991
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3.1 litre V6 Manual

Summary:

For what I paid for it, and the fun it has given me... Great car!

I'm on my third alternator.

The cruise control died just before 100,000km.

Fuel pump has been replaced.

High beam switching unit was fried.

Suspension is badly in need of new bushings.

Clutch requires replacement.

Engine is overdue for a rebuild, and the rear main bearing seal has a small leak.

Everything else is little stuff that you would expect from a relatively cheap car, and the fact that it is 10 years old. Like the cup holder which could never stay in proper working order or the dash around the center air vent which is warping away.

General Comments:

Overall my Cavalier has been a great car. It has pep, has lasted a lot longer than I ever thought, and was a good value for my money when I bought it new.

Unfortunately the paint job has really taken a beating due to rocks and my lack of attention to repairing the chips. Which is too bad as it looked really sharp when it was new.

I have only ever been stranded by this car twice and they were both minor. One was from a dead battery and the other was from an alternator.

I have mistreated this car a lot. I am heavy footed, and don't slow down for much, yet it has kept on ticking. And still has that peppy feeling when the gas pedal goes to the floor in a hurry.

I think I have spent maybe $2000 on overall maintenance so far on this car. However with the age and kilometers piling up I am looking at probably around $3000 to do some major work on it. But that is far cheaper than a new car, and I think I can make it perform better than when it was new. It's just too much fun to drive to give up yet.

Review Date: 14th August, 2001