1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews - Page 8 of 8

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 4-cyl from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4-cyl Automatic
Previous car--------------- --------------------

Summary:

A reliable, long lasting piece of machinery

I have had nothing major go wrong with the car. I have had to replace hoses and belts and I think I need put a new thermostat in it, but those things are to be expected.

General Comments:

I like my Cavalier. It has been a good dependable first car. I would recommend it as a first car to anyone.

Review Date: 14th August, 2000

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier VL 2.2 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2000

Summary:

Good first car!!

Starter.

Alternator (2 times).

Radiator fan motor.

Battery.

General Comments:

I have enjoyed this car. It is my first car and it has been a good one for me. Good mileage, about 30 on the highway. Not too many repairs. Looks better than the Escort :)

Review Date: 1st August, 2000

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 3.1 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

A complete waste of money

Just about everything. It was a junk monkey. I bought it for $5,000, and had it for 3 years. In those three years I put over $5,000 into it.

The head gacket blew after one year, the brakes have been changed twice, the key starter went, and to top it all off, the transmission slowly went, and now there is NO, that's right NO reverse. I'm sure there is more I'm not remembering.

General Comments:

Don't ever buy one! I was a poor student at this time, and it gets pretty hard with that much cart maintenance on top of University fees.

Review Date: 28th July, 2000

19th Aug 2002, 02:56

I'm a proud owner of a 1991 cavalier rs and currently have 210000 miles on it and still running strong.

Thanks chevrolet.

18th Mar 2003, 23:17

I have 91 cavalier rs sdn with 240000 miles. I drive it as hard as I can. I put about 30000 miles a year on it.

Completely satisfied.

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS from North America

First year of ownership1999
Distance when acquired720000 miles
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

Piece of crap

Fan wasn't working, causing it to overheat.

Alternater needed replacing.

Brakes went out.

Key starter fried, had to get a new one.. (ouch!)

General Comments:

This car sucks. I bought it for 3000 dollars 5 months ago, since then, I've put in 2000 dollars worth of repairs. It shakes extremely bad when in idle. It's just a piece of crap. I guess that's what you get when you buy a US car :/ We're known for our hamburgers, not our cars.

Review Date: 12th June, 2000

26th Jan 2001, 14:25

A very wise mechanic once told me to never buy an American-made car that is a 4-cylinder automatic. If you're going to buy an American car it should be a V6 automatic/manual or V4 manual.

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

13th Aug 2001, 21:41

A wiser mechanic might advise you not to buy an American car without a warranty.

17th Dec 2001, 13:37

An even wiser mechanic might know that there are no passenger cars out there right now with a "V4". They have inline four cylinders. The cylinders are in a single bank, not in two banks in a V format. But you are right: don't ever buy an American 4 cylinder. Don't even buy a manual one.

23rd Feb 2003, 17:43

I've owned my 1991 Cavalier for 12 years now and the only things that have gone wrong with it was the alternator and the starter. Otherwise, NOTHING has gone wrong with this car. I think you just got a lemmon, and there is nothing wrong with owning an American Made 4 cyl.

18th Mar 2003, 23:23

I have a 91 cavalier rs with a 2.2l 4 cylinder motor and an automatic. It has 240000 miles and still burns the tires on dry asphalt.

30th Aug 2004, 22:37

OK I just bought a 1991 cavalier I wanna know how long she is going to last it has a 199.449 on her and she is a five speed can someone e-mail me at steve1820022000@yahoo.com and let me know what I'm in for?

13th Oct 2004, 08:18

I have a 1991 Cavalier 2.2L and just went over 300,000 miles. Problems: 3 alternators, 1 starter and the belt idler pulley. Nothing else.

4th Nov 2007, 19:48

I have a question did you buy it from a dealership or from a previous owner because that has a major part in how well it performs. and foreign cars are worthless in my opinion because they are either Cheap!!! or to expensive. example cheap Toyota or an expensive Lamborghini. there is no middle car out there unless it's bought in America.