1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-model 3.1 from North America

Summary:

This car has been a champ!!

Most of the problems were a result from improper repair after an accident. For instance AC died, cruise control stopped working, and a few other things seemed to short out after a short time frame after I left the city in which the repairs were done. I wish I would have had the dealership fix it instead of a mom and pop shop.

Water pumper needed to be replaced after 100,000.

The remaining repairs have been due to age. A few hoses that needed to be replaced and of course typical general maintenance stuff.

General Comments:

I have received numerous compliments over the years on its style alone. Even today it still has a sporty look.

Even at 190,000 it still has great power and acceleration.

Overall: Very good reliability, performance, style and is inexpensive to maintain.

Review Date: 15th December, 2003

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

An import killer

I have had my Z24 for one year now, and I have had only a few problems. They are water pump, heater core, starter, clutch, rotors, brake pads, a few hoses, and I have also thrashed two motors.

The first one, had 160,000km on it. I was racing, when I blew the first one. The cam shaft went, along with my crank.

The second motor, I raced a 2001 Ford Mustang GT. It had around 250hp. I ran a 75hp shot of nitrous oxide, but forgot to change the fuel jet, and ran a 50hp shot. I ran too much nitrous oxide, and not enough fuel. I ended up melting one of my pistons.

General Comments:

These cars are really good for their torque and the power they have when they are stock.

I have added a KN performance air filter, Ractive exaust, NOS kit, FRD racing rims, and an after market yach. By the time that I am done, which will be after winter, I will be pushing over 350hp.

Review Date: 9th September, 2003

18th Sep 2003, 12:36

If you really want to race REAL cars buy one!!! You could build Mustang or Camaro for what you've spent on motors alone!!! Cavalier's a kiddie car, good for economy. Don't waste your time with this pile of junk!!

Den.

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier from North America

Summary:

A decent car that will get you there

When I got the car I replaced the motor mounts (which are going again), the muffler, front tires and the battery. Since then had to replace the manifold to exhaust flange, manual stick cable, the starter, and the heater core just blew. The driver seat has collapsed a bit, so I put one of those bead things on to avoid sitting too low. Also the headliner (ceiling fabric) unstuck began to disintegrate. I just tore it all down and painted over the orange padding underneath. Also the front bumper sags.

General Comments:

Handles well on the road (though tight u-turns makes the front outer-wheel jump a little, and the tires seem to wear quicker), decent mileage (30+ mpg), a little loud and the starter is sluggish. Parts are not expensive. The doors (2-door) stick in the winter time, to the point where I sometimes have to use a screwdriver to pry them open, and are generally very heavy to open and close.

All in all it's been a fairly reliable car and I've enjoyed it, though it's now time to move on as there's just too many little things to fix to make it a nice looking and feeling car.

Review Date: 16th July, 2003

8th Jul 2006, 08:59

I definitely agree with your comments. My car recently passed 200k miles and still runs very well. Have had to replace a few things over the years, but that is expected. Other than that, just general maintenance. Still gets about 28-32mpg. Chevy did a great job with this car. 200k+ and still running.

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2.2L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I have a very low opinion of this car

Head gasket,

Serpentine belt,

Radiator---------- all these were $1100

Torque converter lockup valve - $320

Trunk has always leaked (car never wrecked)

Heater/defroster electrical system does not function, replaced relays, still not working.

Paint quality (dark maroon) poor, car looks over 20+ years old,

General Comments:

I have owned 13 cars and 7 trucks/SUV's in my life, and this one is without a doubt the most cheaply made, undependable, soul-less vehicle I have owned.

Review Date: 24th February, 2003