2006 Chevrolet Impala from North America

Summary:

This is the most dangerous car I've ever owned

Engine power reduced and traction control comes on constantly.

General Comments:

My traction control comes on, and if I'm driving at a speed of 50 mph or above, the engine power reduces and traction control comes on, and my car's speed will automatically drop to 25 mph or less.

I had to stop driving on the highway, scared of being rear ended and possibly killed. I have to keep pressing the traction control button to maintain my speed of 40 mph, and drive with my hazard lights on, to keep from being hit.

Review Date: 16th December, 2010

16th Dec 2010, 15:09

To the poster with the traction control problem.

There is no car made that has that kind of "feature" where at normal highway speeds (60-70 mph) the car will just slow down to 25 mph due to the traction control. Not as a "normal operating feature". I recommend you take it to your Chevy dealer immediately as there is a serious problem with that system! It is probably a speed sensor mis-reading, but could be a number of problems. Again, this is not a normal feature of the traction control!! That is assuming of course that by highway speeds you mean what I previously established as typical speeds (60-70) and not 100+. These cars do have a speed governor ya know!

Besides, why does anyone need to go 100+ unless you are on the track? The roads in this failed country (US) are by far extremely sub par, and not designed to take speeds of that extremity. Be safe out there folks!!

16th Dec 2010, 16:02

So take it in and get it fixed. Sounds like a computer problem, but not an impossible one to fix.

16th Dec 2010, 19:07

"This is the most dangerous car I've ever owned"

- Get rid of the deathtrap before it kills you!

26th Oct 2012, 16:58

Had same issue 4 times; twice it was throttle body issues, both repaired under warranties, both GM and purchased warranty. The other two times it was "wheel sensors" that went out. Once was covered under warranty, the second time it was $1500ish out of pocket expense.

Good luck. After the repairs, it turned out to be a great car.

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 5.3L from North America

Summary:

I would never buy another one, although I like the look and feel

Parking brake not holding car when set, never stays in adjustment.

Transmission slipping at 50,000 miles.

Loud noise coming from AC blower even when the engine is off.

Paint job is very poor quality.

Passenger seat springs sound like they are broken

Burns oil, must add 1 - 2 qts between oil changes.

Seems to run hot, although the idiot temp gauge always reads in the middle between hot and cold.

Material sagging from sun visors.

General Comments:

Always have had issues with this car.

Review Date: 17th November, 2010

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS from North America

Summary:

I would probably buy another one

Bought the car with the thump in the steering at 58K. Dealer replaced the steering under warranty.

Cream colored seats stain easily from blue jeans.

Battery needed replacing at 60K.

91K - Heat doesn't work and then the dash chime warned me my engine was overheating. Found white gunk under my radiator cap. I'm being told it's the head gasket going.

General Comments:

I fell in love with this car because of the styling. To me, it was somewhat reminiscent of the old GM boats from the 80's I love, except with a modern twist.

The interior is comfortable, very soft cloth. I love the two-tone dash: dark brown for the deep dash and steering wheel, and a light cream color for the rest of the interior, separated by a strip of fake woodgrain.

All controls are easily accessible and easy to use.

Overall, I loved this car up until the radiator/cooling system issues. Now I'm starting to wonder if GM's really are just built to break.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2010

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT2 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Disappointed

Water pump is going out at 84,000 miles. Also the fuel/gas cap sensor had to be fixed. They replaced the gas cap; $18.00 and sensor; $30. It was $88.00 to hook up to computer and read.

General Comments:

I don't like these kind of repairs at 80,000 miles. A fuel pump should not go out that quickly.

Review Date: 21st June, 2010