2006 Chevrolet Impala LT from North America

Love it, wouldn't trade it for anything, BUT some very annoying and concerning issues

Right driver's side window makes a loud screaming sound when it is warm outside. Tried WD40 - no luck.

20 inch rims won't fit on the car, and air bags/lifting/knuckels etc. are not possible. Will scrape tires, causing them to bald.

The most important issue is the squeaking and straining of the steering wheel, and the slight vibrations. Have noticed that it squeaks the most when slightly turning to the right at higher speeds.

Review Date: 9th April, 2010

10th Apr 2010, 11:05

1) My windows did that on my 06 Impala. They have to take the door panel off to grease the gear.

2) You are going to need a new steering shaft.

I loved mine, too, but it was a lease and now I have a Cobalt.

16th Apr 2010, 21:52

If the steering squeaks when turning the wheel, grab some grease, and grease the tie rod ends. I used WD40 instant cure.

As for the steering wheel, WD40 where it turns a few times and let it soak. Clean it off everything else, you just want it in the area between the wheel and the plastic. Squeak be gone!

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 6 from North America

Love the car. Hate the tie rods

I love to drive my 2006 Impala, and have done so quite a bit in the 3 1/2 years I have owned it.

However, at 52,000 miles, both front tie rods were so deteriorated that my tires were worn on the inside wall, not visible to me. After driving for an extensive period on the interstate, my sensor tire lights came on with a warning. I immediately pulled in. The tires were literally about to blow. $825 later, I was back on the road.

Now it is 64,000 miles and I took the car for inspection. It flunked because of my left tie rod. $250 later.

Are there any other Impalas with this same problem?

Review Date: 13th March, 2010

30th Apr 2010, 20:38

Yes -- I own a 2006 SS Impala and just had the driver's side tie rod replaced at 52K miles. Went to JustAnswer Chevy website and the ASE Tech said he has replaced a few of them along with TONS of the wheel hub bearings!! He said to ask the dealer for GOODWILL consideration on the tie rod replacement. Now my new worry is how long before the passenger tie rod wears out, along with the hub bearings... GM needs to own up to these problems, as I have seen them listed on several other web blogs...

4th Feb 2013, 20:36

Why in the world did it cost you so much for a tie rod end?

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5L V6 from North America

Won't buy it again

Blown head gasket - 64,000 miles.

Water pump gasket - 64,000 miles.

Water pump failed - 64,000 miles.

Oil pan gasket - prior to 64,000 miles.

Lower trans cooler line - prior to 64,000 miles.

Tried to review issues with GM Customer service hotline. Issues could not be resolved.

General Comments:

Car is comfortable. Ride is good. Reliability of the vehicle has been good to this point.

It seems like everything went at one time. I am very upset with the head gasket failure, since this is the second Impala with the same issue. We thought the firts one was a fluke. Seems like this is the GM product for you.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2010

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5 from North America

I would buy Chevy again, but probably look into a different model

Cradle bolts loose, easy fix.

Transmission line leaks.

Heater fan makes thumping noise.

Brake rotors warped.

General Comments:

I overall am happy with this car. I agree it is not a trouble free car, but at my financial level it is acceptable. I have driven the car across the country and it was excellent, never let me down.

All of the problems with the car have been an easy fix, and it was stuff I could do myself in the driveway.

The transmission was replaced under warranty 10,000 miles ago, and I experienced none of the problems that have been stated in other reviews.

The leak is more of a dealer install fault, and was corrected easily with some thread goop the dealer gave me.

The car has great pull, and does fairly well in the handling area. I put on some wider rims and better tires, and although it decreased the ride quality, it vastly improved handling and tire wear.

The engine is extremely smooth, and compared to the old 3.1, it's a great improvement.

I do not have the cylinder deactivation, and will never get a car with that junk, I have never seen it work right on any car of any manufacturer.

I will be happy to keep the car, and probably sell it at 100,000.

Here is a tip for all Impala owners. The cradle bolts may need to be torqued eventually (120ft lbs back, 118ft lbs front). Doing this makes a huge improvement in every aspect of your car's ride and handling, and it eliminates the "clunk" that some may be hearing when you accelerate. This is not the only car I have had to do this to, as it was an issue with my Focus too.

Overall I like the car. Would not pay the 25 to 30 for the car, but it was a good buy at $7,000 used.

Review Date: 7th January, 2010