2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5 from North America

Good bang for the buck

Recall to re-program key fob transmitter.

Heater blew cold air when car was at idle around 30K miles (dealer found air pocket in cooling system)

Windows scratched/made noise due to defective belt line weather strip.

General Comments:

We purchased the car new in early 2006 and have had very little problems with it after nearly 50,000 miles; this car replaced my 2006 Camry because my wife refused to drive a manual transmission!

The 3.5 is peppy and gets about 24 MPG combined highway/city if I stay off the pedal. The auto transmission shifts are smooth, but there is some hesitation getting the car to drive forward when I shift from reverse to drive.

The interior is roomy enough for my 6' frame and the seats are comfortable. All the gauges and steering wheel controls for the radio are well placed and easy to read and access. My only complaint on the interior is the small, shallow cup holders wedged between the front seats - they are not large enough for anything bigger than a 12 oz can.

Braking and handling is adequate for a car this size but not over-impressive. The ride is comfortable even on the horrible roads of Missouri.

Interior noise is OK but there is a noticeable draft at times from the front door to jamb seals. I think thicker weather strip would solve that issue.

Overall, we are satisfied with the car and its long-term reliability and low cost of ownership.

Review Date: 24th December, 2008

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS from North America

I love it!

My brake rotors are now warped a bit.

General Comments:

I have 50K on it and am ready for some upgrades. I think that I need to do the brakes (after market), shocks, and tune up items. I am looking for any ideas that anyone might have. I want better handling, horsepower and looks.

Review Date: 10th December, 2008

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5 V6 from North America

Alignment will not stay, tires had to be replaced at 60000. Still have vibration in drivers side front end.

Rear defogger worked well at first, now it turns on but will not heat up. Relay been checked, OK. Dangerous trying to pull out at night from work when you cannot see out the back window due to frost.

When at a stop sign, pull away and transmission will hesitate then slip into gear. It has been getting worse as the year goes on.

Message center on dash keeps telling me to tighten gas cap, and my emission light remains on. I replaced the gas cap but it made no difference. We have erased the codes and when we travel on highway at higher speeds the warnings are not there. When we arrive back into the city at lower speeds, the warnings come on again, tighten gas cap, and check emission system. Been checked but no problems detected.

I have a 1998 Chev Cavalier that I truly love. This car has given me no problems, great on gas and only thing we have to repair is brakes and tires which is normal. This car has 256,189 KM on it. Still running great, engine and transmission are great.

I also see recalls for the power steering but up to this point have not received no recall notices, but do have a noise when turning left, sounds like metal that is binding, then releasing, and bad vibration in front end.

For the price of this vehicle, I am not at all impressed. I was a Chrysler vehicle person for over 20 years and had no problems at all. Bought them new, had them 7 years then traded them in, in awesome shape. I do not feel that this vehicle will be worth anything in 7 years as it has too many problems now at 2.5 years old. Sad that you work to buy a decent safe vehicle, but I do not feel safe in this car. I am afraid that this car will leave me stranded one night on way home from work.

Hope the newer models have been inspected better than this model year 2006 was.

Review Date: 7th December, 2008