2001 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 3 of 9

2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carDodge Dakota

Timing chain makes noises when first started, and the front drive shaft went out.

General Comments:

The 4.7 runs GREAT!!! Rides like a bull and the gas mileage sucks!!! But all around, I like my truck.

Review Date: 6th December, 2009

2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L Magnum V8 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.7L Magnum V8 Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Rabbit

Summary:

Love it, and buying another

The only issue I have ever had with this truck is the 4wd unit quit. You can still shift it with a wrench, but not just flicking the dash switch :(

The mileage is poor, about 18mpg, but it's a V8 with performance parts and 31" tires.

General Comments:

Between my father and I, this truck has been through hell. We are both in search and rescue, and he is an EMT. We drove it through floods and he commutes to work in it. I constantly abuse it on and off the road, and it takes every bit of it!

I am even looking at buying a lifted twin to this truck.

It survived me and my friends at 16, and has never failed to crawl out of whatever I bury it in.

Review Date: 13th October, 2009

25th Apr 2012, 02:49

18 mpg with a 4x4 V8 and 31" tires is NOT "poor" - that's awesome.

2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 4.7 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Manual
Distance when acquired92000 miles
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

The little truck that could

I had a line to the charcoal canister dry out and crack. Cut off the cracked portion and put it back on. Check engine light went out, and back to work.

The front pinion bearing went out at about 100k, but replaced pinion and carrier bearings and was back on the road for about 150 bucks.

Oh, the rear end failure during a trip towing my 5000 pound 67 F100 500 miles from California to Oregon, so I feel like it had a good excuse to let go.

General Comments:

I have used this truck like a truck and it has acted like one. I have wheeled it some in mud sand and snow, and it has gone everywhere the BFG All Terrains would let me. I have slotted and drilled disks in the front and a 5 speed, so a few less things to worry about.

I have worked the hell out of this truck, and it always performs. Towing my Jeep or Ford around, it never lacks power. Hauled a Harley in the bed and a boat in tow this summer from Oregon to Arizona, and it did awesome.

A few months ago I did a scrap metal run 100 miles to Portland. It pulled all the hills at 50-55, got 13 mpg, and crossed the scales at 11,200lbs combined. Ha ha, Dodge rates this rig for around 4400 pounds and the rig weighs about 4500.

I love the little truck. I will be getting a cummins some time soon, but until then, the Dakota gets it done.

Review Date: 16th December, 2008

2001 Dodge Dakota Sport, Club Cab 4.7 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Distance when acquired72000 miles
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Dodge Dakota Sport 2001 is a total piece of crap!

Multiple issues with tie-rods. There was a recall, but the dealer said reoccurring front-end problems were not related to the recall and wouldn't cover them.

An electronic sensor causes erratic shifting. After changing speed sensor, the dealership defaulted that the truck needed a new transmission. Unfortunately, I didn't listen and even after a new transmission, the problem returned. Dealer again worked on the speed sensor and at least for now the truck is shifting normally.

Truck runs at a very high idle and mechanics have not had success regulating it.

Note: I've put less than 8,000 miles on a truck that I purchased with less than 75,000 miles. I've not noted the many small irritations.

General Comments:

I've driven a pick-up for 20 years and this is the worst piece of crap I've ever driven. It is an incredibly beautiful truck - Dodge's way of getting you to buy a piece of junk. Don't be deceived by looks!

All of the small problems I have show up on message boards as repeated problems with the Dodge Dakota. Hopefully you are reading this before you purchase.

Review Date: 16th January, 2008