2001 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 2 of 9

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

Reliable, even after 10 years!

Actually has held up very well in all aspects over the past 10 years.

Has needed some fixes, but nothing out of the ordinary for a daily driver and business vehicle.

Only two problems out of the normal fixes:

The wiring for the speakers; one speaker does not work.

Rust is starting to appear in different places, only in the past year or 2.

General Comments:

This has been a very reliable truck, but I do have some comments on the aspects of the truck that would improve it.

The first major problem is that the thick pillars on either side of the windshield create large blind spots when doing left turns especially, and general driving.

I sit low (being 5'2) and find that this also impedes visibility when parking, etc.; however, another driver of this vehicle is 6'1 and has some trouble seeing out of the windshield because of their height.

This truck pokes along until it hits around 85-90km. and then will fly along. Before that speed it is mandatory to continuously be on the gas to keep up any speed, and it is slow to accelerate in low gears. Basically it's a slowpoke until in a higher gear.

Despite these problems, it has been a great truck, and these are things that most drivers can live with. I would buy another Dodge, however probably not another Dakota.

Review Date: 28th May, 2010

28th May 2010, 14:13

I like seeing great reviews on the Dakota. My 2001 Dakota was my favorite truck. I loved the styling and interior. A Toyota Tundra pulled out in front of me in January 2006. The Tundra was bent double and the engine mounts broke, dropping the engine on the ground. My Dakota was drivable, and didn't even have a busted radiator, however due to both air bags deploying and hood, grill and fender damage the other party's insurance company paid me $835 less than I had paid for the truck new in 2000 and I bought a Ranger. Dodge RUINED the styling of the newer Dakotas, and I won't buy another one until they de-ugly it.

7th Oct 2011, 22:53

I loved my 2001 so much. I had her finally like I wanted her; she was all black, chrome wheels, limo tinted windows, only 82,654 miles, self lock, self alarm, rhino bedliner, dual exhaust pipes, she grumbled so pretty... Just got rear ended 2 weeks ago, causing a hump in the bed, and the frame is in the shape of a U, insurance totaled her... I'm so sad and heartbroken; not much in maintenance had to be done to her... I agree the new ones are soooooooooooo UGLY that I wouldn't buy one of them... It's my understanding they are no longer making a Dakota any more after the year 2010...

8th Oct 2011, 12:01

Wow!! I could almost have written comment 22:53. I also owned a beautiful 2001 Dakota that I had spent a lot of time fixing up with custom accessories, detailing and sunroof. It was flawless and never required a single repair. A few years back a Toyota Tundra ran a stop sign in front of me and both vehicles were written off as totalled. Amazingly, my Dakota didn't even have a busted radiator and was still perfectly driveable, while the Toyota had been bent into a u-shape and the engine was lying on the ground underneath it. It had to be hauled away on a flatbed truck.

I also regard the new Dakota as hideously ugly, and opted to replace my 2001 with a Ford Ranger Sport.

2001 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 from North America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3.9L V6 Manual
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

I'd rather drive off a cliff and DIE than have it taken away, and only be able to have a Toyota

For the most part, my Dakota has been trouble free until last year.

In the past year and a half, I have redone valve cover gaskets, water pump (I would link that to a previous accident, the fan was bent and replaced, probably didn't help matters) at 158,000 miles, and currently after getting a new set of tires (Firestone Destination A/T P215/75R15 100S-LOVE EM!!)

I discovered that I needed both lower ball joints (they are original), both upper ball joints (replaced 2005 during a recall -- that was 91,000 miles), left tierod end, and left wheelbearing (4x4).

Just for the heck of it, I had the cash to spare, and I have bought all the ball joints (MOOG), both wheel bearings, both tie rods, front brakes, and control arm bushings all around, for approx $850. And a bottle of Neversieze!! Put it around the wheel bearing housing so it will press out easier - if it ever needs to be done again!

I also have had one ongoing problem -- EVAP leaks triggering light. Believe it mostly revolves around the EVAP canister underneath. But the light is always about at inspection time, so I have time to replace it.. sometime.

One last thing I nearly forgot, (amazing what you can almost forget) the 4x4 Transfer case to front axle driveshaft. It has a universal at the axle and a CV joint at the case. I had it replaced by the dealer at around 120,000 miles. Then earlier this year, I heard it again. The price -- around $400.00, dealer only part. However, I found through the Dakota owners web page, a custom built, HEAVY DUTY, all universal type shaft built at Driveline Express in Lubbock Texas. 2 numbers available, no website. 1-800-753-1273, and 1-806-762-5896. Shipped UPS ground and pay COD. BELIEVE ME, there is a difference in the use of your 4x4 with this shaft. That extra torsional rigidity in it makes the front end hook up on both sides, and I have limited slip 3.55, which before always spun on one side or other, now it's HOOKED!

General Comments:

2001 to 2004 was the LAST of a great creation.

Overall I can say the Dakota was a serious truck when properly equipped.

I do wish it would have had available lockers for the front. I'll give Toyota that one, lockers, however I have no use for Toyota, biggest liars in the automotive industry, and as of recent I feel vindicated.

Back to the point, I have a commercial package pickup, bench seat, 5 speed manual, cassette deck, (now Sony Xplode CD) no air, regular cab. That's how a truck should be. If I was doing it all again today however, I wouldn't buy the Dakota, they have KILLED it. I only paid $14,900 for mine. Now you can't find one less than $21,G!! If I were to buy today, I'd go to a 3/4 ton full size. I'd still prefer Dodge, BUT Ford has a great runner up setting there, I drove one one day!!

The dream setup would be with the Cummins diesel, but if I'm not towing often, just get the Hemi, 6 speed manual, lockers all around, regular cab, HD clutch, Plow/Tow package, (Power Wagon??) 16.5 tires or 235/85/16 tires.

Ford would be same concept, but with 5.4L and HD auto/cooler. And bench seat in either one!! Because I want a TRUCK.

Review Date: 15th February, 2010