1994 Dodge Intrepid Reviews

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3L from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.3L Automatic

Summary:

Driveable. I do love my car. Takes me from point A to point B

Muffler noise when speeding up.

Gas leak.

When starting up the ignition, it stops and I have to turn the car off and try again.

Paint.

A/C doesn't work.

General Comments:

This is my first car, bought it from boyfriend's father, and I love my car, even though it has its faults.

Review Date: 24th September, 2011

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Piece of crap

My dad bought me a 94 Dodge Intrepid ES from his friend in 2008. 2 months later, the transmission blew. My dad got a used transmission for $750, & had no problems until month or two ago.

Since 2008, I've replaced the inner & outer tie-rods, brake pads/shoes, calipers, windshield wiper motor, one of the belts, water pump (I think), alternator, struts/rotors, & got 2 new tires.

I've spent $3000 on the front end since summer of 2009. Spent more money fixing this vehicle than on my Chevy Corsica, which was a 1989.

Now my car's transmission is stuck in 2nd gear in limp mode, so I can't drive over 30-35 or the RPMs will skyrocket. I found that pulling over & restarting the car will put the car in drive for a while, but then it'll go right back to 2nd gear. Went to a couple shops to get it looked at. One guy said it could be the solenoid pack or sensor, & that I could still drive the car, but to avoid highways. The other shop said it was definitely the transmission slipping, & that I should look for another car. I'm going to another place to get it looked at on Friday. If it's the transmission slipping, then I'm junking the car, since it's not worth fixing.

After this experience, I will never buy a Dodge again unless it's brand new with no mileage. Hoping it's a sensor issue or the solenoid pack, because I can afford to fix them.

General Comments:

The upside is that I get great mileage on the car.

It runs wicked quiet, which is nice.

Review Date: 27th October, 2010

30th Apr 2014, 15:56

I had the same problem with mine (bought used from the original owner in 2006).

When I was checking it out for purchase, I noticed the dash lights would act weird, but it ran good.

After driving it for a few weeks (yes, I bought it anyhow), going down the road at about 60mph, it suddenly downshifted to 2nd gear, squealing the tires as if the brakes were slammed on. Pulled over and just like you said yours did, I started it back up and it was fine.

LONG story short, it turned out to be a common problem with the ignition switch losing contact (power to certain circuits), causing the trans to go into 'limp' mode each time.

Replaced the switch, went from 105,000 miles at purchase 'til the tranny finally gave out (after a LOT of towing abuse) at 296,000 miles. Several years too late for you, but if someone else sees this... maybe it'll save some aggravation & a car.

1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.3L Automatic
Previous carBuick Skylark

Summary:

Great car

Had to have the torque converter rebuilt just after I bought it (right after the warranty ran out), besides that I've only had to replace the normal jelly bean repairs (alternator, brakes, water pump, etc...).

General Comments:

The car just hit 340k miles and I still drive it every day. Best car I ever bought for the money, and it still gets 26mpg on the highway.

Review Date: 11th September, 2009