1994 Dodge Intrepid Reviews

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3L from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.3L Automatic

Summary:

Driveable. I do love my car. Takes me from point A to point B

Muffler noise when speeding up.

Gas leak.

When starting up the ignition, it stops and I have to turn the car off and try again.

Paint.

A/C doesn't work.

General Comments:

This is my first car, bought it from boyfriend's father, and I love my car, even though it has its faults.

Review Date: 24th September, 2011

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Piece of crap

My dad bought me a 94 Dodge Intrepid ES from his friend in 2008. 2 months later, the transmission blew. My dad got a used transmission for $750, & had no problems until month or two ago.

Since 2008, I've replaced the inner & outer tie-rods, brake pads/shoes, calipers, windshield wiper motor, one of the belts, water pump (I think), alternator, struts/rotors, & got 2 new tires.

I've spent $3000 on the front end since summer of 2009. Spent more money fixing this vehicle than on my Chevy Corsica, which was a 1989.

Now my car's transmission is stuck in 2nd gear in limp mode, so I can't drive over 30-35 or the RPMs will skyrocket. I found that pulling over & restarting the car will put the car in drive for a while, but then it'll go right back to 2nd gear. Went to a couple shops to get it looked at. One guy said it could be the solenoid pack or sensor, & that I could still drive the car, but to avoid highways. The other shop said it was definitely the transmission slipping, & that I should look for another car. I'm going to another place to get it looked at on Friday. If it's the transmission slipping, then I'm junking the car, since it's not worth fixing.

After this experience, I will never buy a Dodge again unless it's brand new with no mileage. Hoping it's a sensor issue or the solenoid pack, because I can afford to fix them.

General Comments:

The upside is that I get great mileage on the car.

It runs wicked quiet, which is nice.

Review Date: 27th October, 2010

1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.3L from North America

Previous carBuick Skylark

Summary:

Great car

Had to have the torque converter rebuilt just after I bought it (right after the warranty ran out), besides that I've only had to replace the normal jelly bean repairs (alternator, brakes, water pump, etc...).

General Comments:

The car just hit 340k miles and I still drive it every day. Best car I ever bought for the money, and it still gets 26mpg on the highway.

Review Date: 11th September, 2009

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES from North America

First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carHonda Integra

Summary:

Garbage

Transmission went out twice, engine locked once, suspension made a lot of noise, heater fan didn't work.

General Comments:

Even if it was free, I would not want this car. This car is the last Dodge I will own, new or used. The car was nice till 30000 miles, then the trans started to act up, from then, it just wasn't reliable.

Review Date: 12th December, 2008

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.3L Automatic

Summary:

This is a good, solid, and economical form of transportation

The head gasket was replaced at 116,000 miles.

The serpentine belt was also replaced at 116,000 miles.

The fuel pump was replaced at 126,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car has been very reliable for the most part.

My grandparents purchased it with 33,000 miles on the odometer. This car still has the original transmission and it shifts smoothly. I have the transmission fluid flushed every 30,000 miles, or when it starts to get dark. I recently got a tune-up done and the engine idles very quietly. When my grandpa owned the car he maintained it properly. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and check all the fluids to make sure they are at their proper levels. The Intrepid was a great looking sedan that was ahead of it's time in styling.

Review Date: 27th May, 2008

1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.3 from North America

Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Some problems, but over GREAT CAR!

When I first bought the car, I had to replace engine mounts and transmission mounts (this was from former owner). Replaced crank shaft sensor as well.

Later, replaced a lot of front end components, tie rods, rack bushings, inner tie rod ends, ball joint, sway bar links.

Fuel pump died later on, first MAJOR repair.

AC leaks, common problem with these cars.

Anti-freeze leaks from front of motor. $400 to fix.

General Comments:

Although the car has had its fair share of repairs, I expected it. I bought the car for only $950 with 111000 miles on it. The car is VERY reliable, with the exception of a few noises from the front end.

Car has got some good power. The 3.3 is a STRONG motor, made for minivans. The tranny is alright for now, some noises, but Dodge has crappy transmissions anyway.

The interior is SUPER comfy, my car has a few problems with the power windows, mainly due to someone trying to break into the car. Lots of wind noise from the front doors because of weather stripping deteriorating over the years.

This car burns NO oil, leaks NO oil, and rides very comfortably.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2007

26th Jun 2007, 17:19

I think the motor/transmission mounts would be classified as a major repair don't you think?

16th Aug 2007, 12:16

Car has been reliable for me, strange one came up the ABS light, heat fan quit, but heat still comes in summer, winter, radio was off, but now on, do I have a electronic problem? Anyone have a similar situation??