2001 Dodge Neon Reviews - Page 2 of 14

2001 Dodge Neon SE 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Best car I ever owned

The dashboard blistered and peeled within 6 months of purchasing the car new. Someone at the factory had obviously painted the dash. Dealership replaced it under warranty, and no problems since.

General Comments:

Great handling.

Good gas mileage.

100% reliable for 10 years.

Decent acceleration.

Lots of leg room for a 6'2" driver.

Trunk and cabin space are deceptively large.

Nice styling inside and out.

Review Date: 30th January, 2011

2001 Dodge Neon SE from North America

First year of ownership2010

Summary:

Good until you begin to have your first problem, then it doesn't stop after that

Lots of electrical problems with the car. Paid $500 in repairs for the first fix, computer nearly fried (check engine light was on when bought). Also paid another $150 for another electrical connection problem.

The de-fogger for the back windshield is broken.

I have a leaking problem with my car, and can't seem to find where the water is coming from.

General Comments:

Has a decent pick up for a 4 cylinder.

Handling is fine, and gas mileage is decent.

The seats are uncomfortable with a lack of support.

Speedometer is easy to read, and lots of trunk space.

Review Date: 16th December, 2010

16th Dec 2010, 08:50

"Check engine light was on when bought"

- You should have run, not walked, away from it.

17th Dec 2010, 11:54

"Paid $500 in repairs for the first fix"

I hope you didn't pay much more for the whole car.

2001 Dodge Neon LE/Base 2.0 SOHC from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.0 SOHC Manual
Most recent distance205000 kilometres
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

You know the old saying; cheap, fast, reliable, pick 2? Dodge just threw that out the window

Rear brake shoes, 205 000 KMS.

Rear wheel cylinders, 205 000KMS.

E-Brake line (one side, but I did both just for peace of mind) 205 000KMS.

Rear bearings (once again, just one side, but did both for peace of mind, and because they were on sale at Canadian tire) 205 000KMS.

Rear drums, 205 000KMS.

Fan motor, 180 000KMS (Cost 10 bucks at a scrapyard from another Neon and around half an hour of my time. Definitely not a big deal)

General Comments:

LOVE IT!!! Let me start off by saying that I am 6 foot 6, approx 2m and 10cm. Of all the cars I've driven (Legacy, A4 - yes a 2009 A4 that was my friends, Tercel, Accent, Protege, Impreza, Caliber) This is by far the most comfortable.

Next, mileage. Summer it costs around 30 - 35 to fill, and I get 450-500 kms a tank (with a feather foot and a 5 speed/manual)

I bought the car for 1400 bucks certified and E-Tested in June 2009 (Ontario drivers know what I mean), and other than now (April 5, I did the maintenance) nothing actually broke other than the fan motor when I bought it. WHICH IS NOT A BIG DEAL IF YOU CAN DO BASIC WORK ON YOUR CAR!

The other repairs, brakes, bearings etc etc. are all standard maintenance, no matter what car you drive, eventually they will have to be done.

Love it my Neon. It's cheap, reliable so far, peppy. Threw in a good sound system, shifts are smooth (bit rough when cold though (Like -30 C cold) for the first few minutes, after it warms up it's fine).

TIP! Use 100% synthetic; Formula 1 is cheap and fits the bill, and use 5w-30 in the winter, not the factory recommended 10w-30.

As long as it was taken care of by its previous owner, it'll run like a champ.

Review Date: 6th April, 2010

27th Nov 2012, 05:34

I'm the original poster, and still this car runs like a clock ;)

2001 Dodge Neon R/T 2.0 from North America

Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Amazing!

I have owned this car for 6 years now, and put some 85,000 KM on it.

I have to tell you, that I was extremely skeptical of buying a Chrysler, especially a Neon, since I had a 95 Neon that was a complete piece of junk car, but a friend convinced me that this was a whole different car, so I went with it.

I have to tell you that this is the BEST car I have ever owned, and had no big issues with it whatsoever. In all this time, I have only replaced the battery and front tie rods. THAT IS IT!

I love the way it accelerates, drives, the leather is amazing, this car has everything ABS, PW. PDL Traction control and it just blows my mind how well put together it is. Sorry guys, but this one is a definite keeper.

I think it also has to do a lot with the way you maintain and keep your vehicle. This car puts my 1999 Civic to shame!

General Comments:

Love this vehicle, and hope to keep it for years to come! I am not sure what other Neons are like, but the loaded R/T 2001 I have is the best car I have ever owned.

My one minor comment is how loud the sound is when I have the sunroof open, but all else is amazing.

I put the SRT-4 wheels on it, and it looks and handles amazing!

Review Date: 5th April, 2010