2001 Dodge Neon ES 2.0 from North America

Summary:

10 years and almost 200k = Well done and thank you Dodge

In the past year she has required some work for overheating and the transmission seal (common Dodge problem).

I'm also getting brakes done for the 3rd time (about $200 replacing front rotors and pads).

The head gasket is on its last legs, as I have some kind of sealer in there now that my mechanic recommended. When it goes, I doubt I'll put much more money in it.

General Comments:

My wife bought this car new before we got married. It's been a great little car.

I now use it as a commuter car, and have 165k. I'm on our 4th set of tires, and just upgraded to SRT rims and 17" tires.

Review Date: 7th February, 2011

7th Feb 2011, 20:50

Not to be mean or anything, but I have heard that Dodge Neons don't come out to be great cars. Neither do the Dodge Plymouth (especially the Breeze). I have an uncle that has had really bad problems with his Plymouth, and it's no longer driveable. He has wasted a lot of green on it, and all for nothing. We see a lot of those cars at the junk yard and people selling them real cheap and why? Because they aren't good cars. I'm not too sure about the Neons, but I have heard through others that have owned them that they have a lot of problems with them.

8th Feb 2011, 18:00

To the above commentor:

I'm not the original reviewer, but I also owned a Dodge Neon. It was the absolute worst piece of crap I've ever owned. I'm happy to hear this person had good luck with theirs, but mine sucked.

2nd Jun 2013, 18:09

We looked at a Neon, then got a well used Corolla! I mean, with all the internet advice / owners opinions around for over a decade, I now do not befriend folks who do not have the energy to perform research! My Corolla has cost me some brake pads / oil / tires, and oh yeah, a $45 sensor in 72k miles!

2001 Dodge Neon SE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Best car I ever owned

The dashboard blistered and peeled within 6 months of purchasing the car new. Someone at the factory had obviously painted the dash. Dealership replaced it under warranty, and no problems since.

General Comments:

Great handling.

Good gas mileage.

100% reliable for 10 years.

Decent acceleration.

Lots of leg room for a 6'2" driver.

Trunk and cabin space are deceptively large.

Nice styling inside and out.

Review Date: 30th January, 2011

2001 Dodge Neon SE from North America

Summary:

Good until you begin to have your first problem, then it doesn't stop after that

Lots of electrical problems with the car. Paid $500 in repairs for the first fix, computer nearly fried (check engine light was on when bought). Also paid another $150 for another electrical connection problem.

The de-fogger for the back windshield is broken.

I have a leaking problem with my car, and can't seem to find where the water is coming from.

General Comments:

Has a decent pick up for a 4 cylinder.

Handling is fine, and gas mileage is decent.

The seats are uncomfortable with a lack of support.

Speedometer is easy to read, and lots of trunk space.

Review Date: 16th December, 2010

16th Dec 2010, 08:50

"Check engine light was on when bought"

- You should have run, not walked, away from it.

17th Dec 2010, 11:54

"Paid $500 in repairs for the first fix"

I hope you didn't pay much more for the whole car.

2001 Dodge Neon LE/Base 2.0 SOHC from North America

Summary:

You know the old saying; cheap, fast, reliable, pick 2? Dodge just threw that out the window

Rear brake shoes, 205 000 KMS.

Rear wheel cylinders, 205 000KMS.

E-Brake line (one side, but I did both just for peace of mind) 205 000KMS.

Rear bearings (once again, just one side, but did both for peace of mind, and because they were on sale at Canadian tire) 205 000KMS.

Rear drums, 205 000KMS.

Fan motor, 180 000KMS (Cost 10 bucks at a scrapyard from another Neon and around half an hour of my time. Definitely not a big deal)

General Comments:

LOVE IT!!! Let me start off by saying that I am 6 foot 6, approx 2m and 10cm. Of all the cars I've driven (Legacy, A4 - yes a 2009 A4 that was my friends, Tercel, Accent, Protege, Impreza, Caliber) This is by far the most comfortable.

Next, mileage. Summer it costs around 30 - 35 to fill, and I get 450-500 kms a tank (with a feather foot and a 5 speed/manual)

I bought the car for 1400 bucks certified and E-Tested in June 2009 (Ontario drivers know what I mean), and other than now (April 5, I did the maintenance) nothing actually broke other than the fan motor when I bought it. WHICH IS NOT A BIG DEAL IF YOU CAN DO BASIC WORK ON YOUR CAR!

The other repairs, brakes, bearings etc etc. are all standard maintenance, no matter what car you drive, eventually they will have to be done.

Love it my Neon. It's cheap, reliable so far, peppy. Threw in a good sound system, shifts are smooth (bit rough when cold though (Like -30 C cold) for the first few minutes, after it warms up it's fine).

TIP! Use 100% synthetic; Formula 1 is cheap and fits the bill, and use 5w-30 in the winter, not the factory recommended 10w-30.

As long as it was taken care of by its previous owner, it'll run like a champ.

Review Date: 6th April, 2010

27th Nov 2012, 05:34

I'm the original poster, and still this car runs like a clock ;)