1992 Dodge Shadow 4 Door 2.2L l4 from North America

Summary:

Totally worth the price if in good shape

Air conditioner compressor leak: $25.

Alternator belt: $20.

Windshield wiper bushing: $5.

Burnt out dashboard lights: $10.

General Comments:

This was my first car. I had bought it off Craigs List in September of 2008 for $350. At a price that low, I expected it to be awful. You get what you pay for, right? Well, I was surprised.

This car has been nothing but awesome for the time I've owned it. Even after 134000 miles, the only problems I've experienced haven't cost me over $100 to fix. It's a great car, and I recommend it to anyone.

Review Date: 10th August, 2009

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 4 door 2.5L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

The most fun vehicle I have ever owned

Radiator had a leak right at the seal, but got a new one for $40.

Car had sat before I bought it for 3-5 years so a lot of the maintenance had not been done. I got lucky, and the guy I bought it from had already replaced the fuel pump, the fuel line, the tires, the wires, the plugs, the oil filter and a oil change plus the spaldings on the tranny.

Interior of the car has quite a bit of wear, but the car is also 16 years old.

Exterior paint is chipping, but that is because the year this was made the manufacturer started to take the lead out of the paint. Still looks gorgeous to me though with the same blue color you see on modern Neons, and a gunmetal gray strip on the bottom.

General Comments:

This will be the 2nd Shadow I have owned and I absolutely love it. They are a blast to drive, and considering its age, it is very quick. I can get my Shad going up to 55 MPH or more before shifting into 4th gear easy. Plus it does not have that nasty vibration at high speed. I have gone as fast as 90 MPH and it did not so much as whimper.

I have the manual transmission, and if you are thinking of getting one of these, I highly recommend it. It has been very reliable and never given me any trouble. The engine in this car has also not given me any major malfunction. Taking into account the age and mileage on the car, I have been most impressed.

Gas mileage on this car is not the best. I average about 24 miles per gallon. But after having owned a Ford Taurus and a Jeep Grand Cherokee, this is a vast improvement for me. Plus it is a lot cheaper to fill this baby up. I can spend $20-$30 and get a full tank which is a plus.

I also got lucky and have a sports muffler tip on the car as well. This gives the car a very pleasant sound at high revs versus the rather annoying bumble bee noise the Japanese cars tend to give with the same modification.

Car could handle better in turns, but I suspect that with new struts and springs it will get better. Right now it has more body roll than I would like. Again, being 16 years old, what do you want? LOL.

I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a reliable car that is fairly easy and inexpensive to repair and maintain. Not to mention that they are very safe in a wreck. My 1st Shadow got hit by a Ford Mustang doing around 50 MPH. The airbag worked like a charm and I have no doubt that that car saved my life.

Review Date: 19th December, 2008

1992 Dodge Shadow ES-V6 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

This car is a terrific, inexpensive, reliable do-all car that I have been surprisingly proud to own

Faulty tie rod ends

Soft suspension springs common problem

Brakes soft, but adequate

Exhaust rots and is poor quality

Paint peels

Transmission starting to slip when cold.

General Comments:

I bought this car from an insurance theft recovery at a scrapyard for $800.00. It has a V6, was in decent shape, basically stock.

I bought it after my Neon started to constantly break down, and in my opinion, the Shadow is superior in everything except gas mileage. I only purchased the car as a cheap replacement, but have since been impressed by its reliability, and have actually began modifying many things because I like this car so much. I have done several upgrades, such as higher quality brakes, upgraded stereo, and most of the cars interior including carpet and seats.

This car now has high mileage, but I have located a low mileage V-6 and plan to rebuild and install it into this car. I have many aftermarket engine performance parts that I plan to add. It has been a great car and surprisingly fun to own. I have no real complaints about the car except the squeaks and rattles and noisy interior, but it is an old car.

The V-6 is very quick and super reliable. I have had no complaints other than it can be hard on gas if you drive aggressive. I personally have added an aftermarket K&N air filter, and have had improvement in gas mileage and power. Also, buy the best quality ignition wires and cap/rotor you can find as this made a massive improvement to power and mileage on my car.

There are many things on this car that could be improved, but as an inexpensive, old, non high end vehicle, I find it is a great alternative to buying offshore imports and supporting North American Manufacturers.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2007