1992 Dodge Shadow Reviews - Page 4 of 8

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Most recent distance202000 miles
Previous carDodge Lancer

Summary:

Fast and roomy, very comfy

New alternator a long time ago...

New radiator at 160,000.

New radiator fan at 140,000.

The paint on the roof and trunk are gone and rusting.

Since 180,000 miles, the gas mileage has gone down from 30 to 20mpg, and she goes through oil frequently.

General Comments:

The car used to fly like the wind.

This car has outlasted everyone's expectations and we've certainly got our money's worth.

Very spacious, we fit a 75 gallon fish tank with gravel and stand while moving this past summer.

This car has driven back and forth between NJ and MD a million times, perhaps you've seen us.

Review Date: 16th February, 2003

1992 Dodge Shadow GL 2.4L from North America

First year of ownership1991
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.4L Automatic
Previous carBuick Skyhawk

Summary:

Superior

The weird thing that went wrong with the vehicle was the warning light for the airbag on the dashboard. It was covered under warranty, and it was actually part of the ignition switch.

The dealership serviced the entire engine at the 70,000 mile mark under warranty and probable resulted in the long life of the car excess of 130,000 and we literally drove the wheels off that vehicle.

The paint was another issue. Since car manufacturers quit putting lead into paint, the paint on the Shadow would literally peel off.

General Comments:

Very, very, shade tree mechanic friendly. I still remember the convenient placement of the oil filter on the front of the engine block with more than adequate clearance.

The timing belt needed to be replaced, and I cannot require the mileage it went out. I know it was beyond warranty, but again very mechanic friendly.

The interior held up very well with two young children in the vehicle at all times.

Interior storage with the lift gate was also very helpful and very roomy considering stroller, groceries. etc.

I'd buy another Shadow in a flash, I would have bought another one if Dodge had not cancelled the car.

Review Date: 21st January, 2003

1992 Dodge Shadow Ex 3.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual

Summary:

A high performance car for cheap $

Passenger door is messed up. Leaking anti freeze and oil from the gaskets. Ball bearing on the timing belt pulley needs replacement.

General Comments:

Intake, muffler, rims, system, dropping it 3 inches, blackout lights and etc. If anyone knows where I can get a header so I could put a turbo in it let me know. email me at daracer427@aol.com thanks.

Review Date: 15th January, 2003

1992 Dodge Shadow 2Door 2.?L 4 cylinder 5Speed from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.?L 4 cylinder 5Speed Manual

Summary:

I will own other cars, but this will always be my favorite.

When I first bought the car in winter of 1999, it had a big hole in the muffler. Sounded really scary inside, like a 18 wheeler. I bought and installed a new one.

After a few months of Alaskan winter driving, I had to replace the thermostat. It froze shut.

In summer/fall 2000 I cracked my clutch pushing 100mph to the Alaska State Fair. I drove back and forth from Anchorage to Palmer during that week.

In spring 2001 I had the head gasket and timing belt replaced. I think all the pot holes up here is what cracked it. Pot holes up here can get pretty big and deep.

Early 2002 I had the camshaft and timing belt (again) replaced. My only guess is wear and tear for the camshaft, the timing belt I don't know 'cause it was just fixed.

Next to fix is the suspension system. Since everyone else is upgrading their cars, I'll do the same with mine. And I'll start with the suspension sys. Maybe some kybs, konis, and eibachs.

General Comments:

This car is like a tank. Heavy and bulky.

The cornering was very good, but very stiff at first, but with suspension worn out, it tends to roll and bounce now.

It's kinda noisy when driving fast, but at least it does go fast. The pick up is great.

The headlight connectors are always burning and sometimes the speedometer don't work.

At first I was irritated with fixing my car so much. Now all I can think of is ways of upgrading it. I know more about cars now than before, all from repairing my car. I love it now.

Review Date: 25th July, 2002