1992 Dodge Shadow ES-V6 3.0L V6 from North America

This car is a terrific, inexpensive, reliable do-all car that I have been surprisingly proud to own

Faulty tie rod ends

Soft suspension springs common problem

Brakes soft, but adequate

Exhaust rots and is poor quality

Paint peels

Transmission starting to slip when cold.

General Comments:

I bought this car from an insurance theft recovery at a scrapyard for $800.00. It has a V6, was in decent shape, basically stock.

I bought it after my Neon started to constantly break down, and in my opinion, the Shadow is superior in everything except gas mileage. I only purchased the car as a cheap replacement, but have since been impressed by its reliability, and have actually began modifying many things because I like this car so much. I have done several upgrades, such as higher quality brakes, upgraded stereo, and most of the cars interior including carpet and seats.

This car now has high mileage, but I have located a low mileage V-6 and plan to rebuild and install it into this car. I have many aftermarket engine performance parts that I plan to add. It has been a great car and surprisingly fun to own. I have no real complaints about the car except the squeaks and rattles and noisy interior, but it is an old car.

The V-6 is very quick and super reliable. I have had no complaints other than it can be hard on gas if you drive aggressive. I personally have added an aftermarket K&N air filter, and have had improvement in gas mileage and power. Also, buy the best quality ignition wires and cap/rotor you can find as this made a massive improvement to power and mileage on my car.

There are many things on this car that could be improved, but as an inexpensive, old, non high end vehicle, I find it is a great alternative to buying offshore imports and supporting North American Manufacturers.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2007

1992 Dodge Shadow America 2.2 from North America

Buy it cheap and run the wheels off it

Very little. TPS sensor, O2 sensor, ignition coil..

America model can be upgraded with parts from luxury models.

Diagnose with ignition key, on-off 3 times then on. Codes blink on power loss lamp.

Replace rubber $23 timing belt every 60K miles.

No problems with this one, but head gaskets can fail usually between 115 and 130K.

Valve cover gasket may leak oil.

5 speed works well. Could even handle a higher top end 6th gear.

General Comments:

I have had several. Very reliable, avg 26-29 mpg.

Easy to fix, you can rebuild the motor in the car if need be.

Roomy for tall drivers.

If the car lurches when shifting, install a TPS sensor.

Cheap car that makes super commuter.

I have had a few of these cars. Parts are cheap and interchange well. Easiest car to work on I ever had, with the exception being the starter.

Review Date: 1st December, 2005

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0 V6 from North America

A inexpensive reliable pocket rocket

No problems. Just regular maintenance. I am very diligent about pampering my 3.0 liter v6.

General Comments:

The 3.0 liter v6 in the Dodge Shadow was made by Mitsubishi. It's a very reliable and powerful engine that can run a lifetime. But; remember to do the maintenance on it as the manual specifies. This engine is very picky about maintenance. I have done the regular maintenance stuff myself. The car is super reliable. No problems and very quick acceleration. A true sleeper car.

Review Date: 28th November, 2005

5th Feb 2006, 11:39

I am so glad to hear that someone else loves their 92 Shadow as much as I love mine... so far I have not noticed that anyone has mentioned that the 3 litre version of the 92 Dodge Shadow is a rare item... I have a letter from Windsor stating that there were only 88 3 litre convertibles and 87 3 litre coupes made for this year... it was an option that was available to dealerships in February 1992.