1992 Dodge Shadow America 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Buy it cheap and run the wheels off it

Very little. TPS sensor, O2 sensor, ignition coil..

America model can be upgraded with parts from luxury models.

Diagnose with ignition key, on-off 3 times then on. Codes blink on power loss lamp.

Replace rubber $23 timing belt every 60K miles.

No problems with this one, but head gaskets can fail usually between 115 and 130K.

Valve cover gasket may leak oil.

5 speed works well. Could even handle a higher top end 6th gear.

General Comments:

I have had several. Very reliable, avg 26-29 mpg.

Airbag.

Easy to fix, you can rebuild the motor in the car if need be.

Roomy for tall drivers.

If the car lurches when shifting, install a TPS sensor.

Cheap car that makes super commuter.

I have had a few of these cars. Parts are cheap and interchange well. Easiest car to work on I ever had, with the exception being the starter.

Review Date: 1st December, 2005

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

A inexpensive reliable pocket rocket

No problems. Just regular maintenance. I am very diligent about pampering my 3.0 liter v6.

General Comments:

The 3.0 liter v6 in the Dodge Shadow was made by Mitsubishi. It's a very reliable and powerful engine that can run a lifetime. But; remember to do the maintenance on it as the manual specifies. This engine is very picky about maintenance. I have done the regular maintenance stuff myself. The car is super reliable. No problems and very quick acceleration. A true sleeper car.

Review Date: 28th November, 2005

5th Feb 2006, 11:39

I am so glad to hear that someone else loves their 92 Shadow as much as I love mine... so far I have not noticed that anyone has mentioned that the 3 litre version of the 92 Dodge Shadow is a rare item... I have a letter from Windsor stating that there were only 88 3 litre convertibles and 87 3 litre coupes made for this year... it was an option that was available to dealerships in February 1992.

1992 Dodge Shadow Dodge Convertible ES 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Good little car, very reliable

I had to replace the back brake lines, pads and rotars at 128,000 miles.

Getting a new radiator put in today (9/13/05) 131,000 miles.

New front right motor mount.129,000 miles.

I need a new top badly.

New tires.

Back left blinker doesn't work when you turn on the head lights.

Blew off the Serpentine belt.

General Comments:

Interior is in perfect condition.

The car is fast never left me stranded. Parts are not to expensive. The back seat is small, but I don't care because I don't have to sit back there.

Review Date: 13th September, 2005

1992 Dodge Shadow ES V6 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Pretty decent little beast!

50-60k replaced the Rack and Pinion.

I did this with the help of my brother, nice way to waste a day!

At 70 or 80k replaced Rack and Pinion again! Previous one was a rebuilt and was binding. So... luckily had a warranty on the prior one. Only cost... another wasted day.

Serpentine belt will jump off powersteering and alternator pulleys. Maybe twice a year if I'm lucky. Keep a 15mm wrench handy just in case.

It now continually rides partially off the powersteering unit pulley. Replaced tensioner pulley to no avail.

Small gas shocks that hold rear hatch up have been bad. Too expensive to replace, I now use an umbrella to prop it open.

General Comments:

I bought this car for $2800.

Great car for the price, except for the above mentioned problems and repairs.

This car has some snap! I had it up till the speedometer was maxed. 125 or so mph.

It's been pretty reliable for such an older model. Fairly decent on gas.

Good Brake life! Replaced only twice in the near 60k I put on the car.

Parts pretty easy to find. Remember the Pontiac Sundance and Plymouth Duster are all the same engines.

Older technology so if your mechanically inclined you can do most fixes yourself.

Review Date: 19th August, 2005

13th Sep 2006, 21:42

No, that's a Plymouth Sunfire.

20th Oct 2008, 15:02

There is no such thing as a Pontiac Sundance. It is a Plymouth Sundance. No relation to Pontiac or the Pontiac Sunfire.