1988 Ford Bronco II Reviews - Page 3 of 14

Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 2.9L Manual
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Good truck, a lot of repairs

Seats are starting to wear a little.

Water leaks from the back hatch and someplace in the front.

Seats are broken, won't move (drivers side).

Water pump blew up.

Brakes were badly over worn.

Head gasket is leaking.

Heater went out twice.

Radiator had a few leaks.

Clutch doesn't feel all that great, even with a new top of the line clutch.

General Comments:

This truck is great on the trails. I've never been to a spot where I tell my friends that I can't make it. I've put in a 4" lift and 31" tires. I've been able to carry my friends as well as gear to fishing spots that most trucks cannot and will not try to reach.

I'm 6'2 and 280lbs and I fit perfect inside my BII. The back seats don't have much room for anyone bigger than 5'8. Better left for kids.

My truck requires quite a bit of up keep. I've replaced a lot of things in it so far. And probably will have to replace even more.

All in all I say this is a good cheap truck. If you want something that'll get you there without looking all that great... it's perfect.

Review Date: 26th May, 2006

7th Aug 2012, 18:53

If you didn't put in new gears after putting on those 31s, that's why the clutch doesn't feel great.

1988 Ford Bronco II XLT from North America

Year of manufacture1988
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

LEMON

Engine blew, had to replace entire engine.

At a separate point, the head gaskets blew.

Oil sending unit blew and replaced.

Transmission fell apart, needed to be rebuilt.

Replaced heater core.

It was smoking and blew a spark plug, but it wasn't overheating and I now refuse to put any more work into the car.

General Comments:

I was NOT looking for a project car when I bought my Bronco II, but it feels like that's where I am. Perhaps I received the one absolute lemon in a sea of wonderful cars. I like everything about the Bronco II, except that it breaks down every couple months! I've spent at least 6 times what I paid for the car fixing it up, and I expected after a few repairs it'd be reliable. I was wrong; this car is absolutely unreliable. And it gets horrible gas mileage. All I want is for my car to stop and go when I tell it to. I hate this car. I feel cursed.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2006

4th Mar 2006, 08:26

I think you have to be realistic and accept that this is a very old car that sounds like it's worn out.

28th Apr 2006, 17:12

Something tells me you had the 2.9L 6 cyl. engine... they are trouble prone - especially the head gaskets...I've heard that the 2.8L is the better bet. (funny/weird how much difference 1L makes, eh?)

29th Apr 2006, 09:22

The 1988 bronco 2 had the 2.9 engine as the 3.0 appeared in 1990+.

The 2.8 had the same weak oil pressure problems as the 2.9, but just not as bad.

2nd Jul 2006, 16:51

I have had a B II for 8 years, bought with 57k miles, put 100k on it, and more or less just replaced the clutch. It is a hell of a little truck. I believe as in most every vehicle, if regular maintenance is performed, most all of the problems you are talking about don't happen until a few 100k miles.

1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.9 EFI from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 2.9 EFI Automatic

Summary:

The B Will Never Leave You Hanging!

Fuel Gauge Unit Inaccurate (Not fixed)

Both Power Window Motors (Not fixed)

Overdrive not working (Not fixed)

Speedometer Cable Falls Out of Transfer.

Case (Holding it in with wire)

Front Axel U-Joints Are Shot (Not Fixed)

Rear Shock Bracket Rotted Off of Frame (Can't find part)

Rear Shocks completely shot (Can't fix till previous mentioned part is to be found)

Small Radiator Leak (Not Fixed)

Thermostat Seized Once ($15 Repair)

A/C Needed Charging (Since charging blows super cold)

Exhaust From Muffler and Back Rotted Off (Replaced)

Rust Where the Side-View Mirrors Attach to Doors.

Few Small Leaks (Rain soaks the seat-belt from behind the panel and the floor on driver's side gets soaking wet)

Might be some other minor problems...

General Comments:

I must say, over-all the car has been great. Despite all it's current problems, it's only left me broken down once (when the thermostat seized, causing the car to get so hot my mechanic was surprised it did not cook the engine).

I must say, that I have put very minimal money into this car, and it is very reliable.

The Bronco II's condition is still very nice, in physically good shape, besides the slight rust on doors from mirros.

I have replaced the whole stereo system and it holds sound quite well (High power externally amped component speakers and subwoofers)... All the sound stays inside the car, and not to the whole neighborhood like them little ricer cars.

I am at a point of where I don't know what to do with it though, I love the Bronco, but I don't want to put all the money into it that it needs... With big things like Transmission work, U-joints and the suspension, I'd have to put a lot of cash into it to make it pass inspection again!

The 4X4 has been great, has gotten me out of times of being stuck many times (although I have to get out of the car to engage the hubs manually). I also have to keep 4X4 usuage to a minimum due to the front U-joints.

If are you looking for a Bronco II, you are surely getting involved with a reliable truck. It's built like a tank and runs no matter what you put it through.

The handling is good, very quick and responsive turning. My only gripe is, since my suspension/front U-joints are shot, I chose not to take the Bronco onto any high-ways. Upon hitting any kind of bump, it practically jumps up and then steers in a random direction (VERY DANGEROUS!) --The seized U-joints steer the car off in the direction their stuck before power steering over-rides it... and the shot suspension in the back causes the jumping.

Yet again I repeat however, overall the Bronco II has been great, I have only done the minimal to keep it going (since I make horrible money). Oil changes/coolant/air cleaners/new shocks (although discovering the back ones can't be replaced till I get new bracket)... Yes it's underpowered, but it's enough for what it is! Plus they're fun to drive and very comfortable for everyone seated.

Review Date: 17th December, 2005